(Lakeville, Conn.) Feb. 7, 2001 - Today, 16 of the nation's most talented karters will compete in the Karting Scholarships Runoff at Sebring International Raceway. The young talent on display is vying for one of four Barber-CART Karting Scholarships, which award winners with a seat in the 2001 Skip Barber Formula Dodge National Championships presented by RACER. Here's a look at the field of entrants looking for the most effective transition from the world of karting to that of auto racing.
* A.J. Allmendinger; 18 years old, Hollister, California. 2000 first place SKUSA Pro Moto Tour in 125cc class. First place in Central Coast Grand Prix in 80cc class. A 2000 CART Stars of Tomorrow Champion. Allmendinger hones his racing skills via gaming on his personal computer.
* Craig Baltzer; 16 years old, Bettendorf, Iowa. 2000 WKA Manufacturer's Cup National Champion in Yamaha Lite. Grand National Champion in HPV Lite. Baltzer is an eight-year veteran of racing.
* Jason Bowles; 17 years old, Ontario, California. Currently with TNR Kartsports, Sodi Kart USA. Finished sixth in the 2000 SKUSA National Championship. Bowles was awarded a ChampCar test with Team Rahal in 2000 as part of the Stars of Tomorrow award.
* Nick Bussell; 17 years old, Ionia, Michigan. 2000 Karting Series. 5 divisional class championships. 2 Grand National titles, 1 National Championship Class Championship. WKA Manufacturer's Cup. Bussell enjoys reading books on racing and race mechanics.
* Juliana Victoria Chiovitti; 18 years old, Sutton, West Ontario, Canada; 3 WKA Grand National titles; 1 WKA National Championship title. First year on the SKUSA Pro Moto Tour. In addition to race competition, Chiovitti provides private instruction to young karters.
* Tommy Contino; 18 years old, Hesperia, California. Currently in 2001 Formula Dodge Western Regional Championship; recent winner at California Speedway. Won the 125 cc class Shifter Kart SKUSA Scholarship. Contino has a vigorous training regiment that includes aerobics and free weights.
* Jason Fredricks; 16 years old, Middletown, New York. Three-time IKF Grand National Champion; WKA Grand National Champion. Fredricks plans to pursue a vocation in computer programming.
* Ward Imrie; 17 years old, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada . Winner of the Manufacturer's Cup Series points championship in the Shifter 125 class. Contested the SKUSA ProMoto tour. Plans for 2001 include contesting F1600 season series. Imrie graduated from high school with honors, despite a heavy travel schedule that revolves around his race career. Z* James Gue; 18 years old, Roswell, Georgia. Five top-5 WKA National Points Championship results. Two WKA National wins. The 1997 WKA Most Improved Jr. driver. A gifted student, Gue is majoring in Management and Communications.
* David Mayhew Jr.; 18 years old, Atascadero, California. US F2000 ACC race winner. Three-time IKF Grand National Champion. Four-time SMKA Club Champion. Five-time Central Coast G.P. winner. Mayhew is an avid wakeboarder and snowboarder.
* Ben Moore; 16 years old, Circle Naples, Florida. Finished fourth in SuperKarts USA Pro Moto Tour 125 cc S2, despite a mechanical that forced him to miss the last race. Earlier in career, won the National Championship title in Jr. Sportsman II class in WKA World Cup. Moore's interests include biking, canoeing and soccer.
* Michael Romeo; 17 years old, Niagara Falls, Ontario. WKA National Win at Charlotte. Four WKA National Fast Times. The WKA National Points Champion in Yamaha Heavy.
* Adam Sodano; 21 years old, Boston, Massachusetts. Nine year veteran of karting. Qualified and finished first in the F2000 SCCA Regional NHIS. First place in WKA 125cc Sprint Shifter at Daytona Kart Week. 1998 Elf Scholarship Shootout invitee.
* Bobby Wilson; 18 years old, Ononomowoc, Wisconsin. Katring highlights include; Moto World Champion in rookie season as a privateer. Winner of Pro Moto World Finals. Three Pro Moto Pole Positions.
* Boomer DeRoads; 16 years old, Encinitas, California - (bio not available)
* Carlos Ramirez; 17 years old Annadale, Virginia - (bio not available)