F1 Hot News
By Andrew Maitland
November 16, 2004
No change on pitwall - Purnell
(GMM -- Nov.16) The former Jaguar management will probably
sit on the 'Red Bull' pitwall next season, continuing team
principal Tony Purnell said on Monday.
Austrian energy drink magnate Dietrich Mateschitz has
pledged $400 million to the Milton Keynes-based Formula One
team over the next three years, but is unlikely to ask for a
ceremonious spot in the limelight.
''He does not crave publicity,'' Purnell told a news
conference. ''Red Bull ... will employ professionals to run
Mateschitz, whose company's slogan is 'Red Bull Gives You
Wings,' called the Jaguar purchase the 'provisional summit'
of a decade-long flirt with Formula One.
Jag rescue is Sauber blow
(GMM -- Nov.16) Jaguar's savior served a blow to small
Formula One rival Sauber, we can reveal.
Red Bull, who now own the formerly Ford-backed outfit based
in Milton-Keynes, will not continue to sponsor Peter
Sauber's Swiss team in 2005.
Dietrich Mateschitz, the Austrian billionaire, bought a
chunk of Sauber in 1995 and, despite a later disagreement,
remained on the Hinwil-designed livery ever since.
''We have made (contingency) plans,'' said a source at
Peter Sauber, meanwhile - the team principal and owner -
told a British motoring publication that the split will not
have a short term effect and there is 'enough time' to
influence a longer fix.
''We are in contact with several companies,'' he revealed.
Cosworth committed to F1
(GMM -- Nov.16) Cosworth's new owner vowed to 'continue the
great tradition' of competing at the very pinnacle of motor
Kevin Kalkhoven, a Champ Car team owner and co-owner of the
North American-based championship, said he and partner
Gerald Forsythe have a 'great respect' for the company's
''We (also) want to move into the future with new projects
and new ideas,'' said the Australian millionaire.
Minardi and newly-fashioned 'Team Red Bull' will be
Cosworth-powered in Formula One next year.
Coulthard and Red Bull
(GMM -- Nov.16) David Coulthard and F3000 champion
Vitantonio Liuzzi have lurched back into serious contention
for a Formula One race seat in 2005.
''We'll test some young guys,'' Team Red Bull (formerly
Ford-owned Jaguar Racing) principal Tony Purnell admitted.
The British chief said 33-year-old F1 veteran Coulthard, who
raced out a nine year tenure at McLaren last month, is 'on
the list' of candidates to line-up probably alongside Dieter
Mateschitz-protégé Christian Klien.
Meanwhile, Red Bull has a junior driver program, in which
Italian-born Liuzzi is undoubtedly the star.
Purnell added: ''I see no reason to make an early decision.
We have an open mind.''
Cosworth's other bidders
(GMM -- Nov.16) Indianapolis' Tony George and Indy Racing
League team owner Chip Ganassi were also in the running to
buy Formula One engine supplier Cosworth.
But Ford's group vice president Richard Parry-Jones, though,
revealed that Champ Car co-owners Kevin Kalkhoven and Gerry
Forsythe had a 'significantly superior' approach and offer.
Cosworth's continuing managing director Tim Routsis,
meanwhile, admitted that the sale by Ford was 'very
distracting' for a motor sport organization.
''Inevitably it involves some uncertainties,'' he said,
''and a degree of worry in the workforce. It would have been
somewhat understandable if people had slightly sloping
Jordan deal 'is a challenge'
(GMM -- Nov.16) Supplying Jordan with the same 2005-spec
engine next year will be a 'real challenge,' Toyota F1
principal Tsutomu Tomita has admitted.
The Japanese said a one-year agreement with the struggling
independent team was concluded at the 'last minute.
''But it is a (challenge) which we are happy to take on. We
are pleased to be able to help another team, given the
difficulties (in F1) particularly with engine supply.''
Meanwhile, a Jordan spokeswoman denied that a
Toyota-contracted driver, such as Australian youngster Ryan
Briscoe, is a part of the new customer engine arrangement.
Red Bull engine 'change' in '06
(GMM -- Nov.16) 'Red Bull Racing' may not be powered by a
Cosworth engine beyond 2005, Formula One team owner Dietrich
The 'RB1' racer, formerly referred to as 'R6' under Ford's
ownership of defunct Jaguar, is designed for a Cosworth V10
and it makes no sense to re-design just prior to pre-season
''But I can imagine a change in 2006,'' said the Austrian
Meanwhile, Red Bull F1 principal Tony Purnell - who oversaw
the design of the R6 - said RB1 'will be a good, solid car.'
He added: ''The uncertainty has been a setback but we're
back on course.''
Ford 'won't return'
(GMM -- Nov.16) There is 'no chance' that Dearborn-based car
manufacturer Ford will return to Formula One in a few years'
That is the admittedly regrettable verdict of group vice
president and Ford's chief technical officer Richard
''You can't say never,'' he said at a London news conference
staged to reveal Formula One's new owner as the Red Bull
energy drink company.
But he insisted that a huge amount of time, expense and
'careful' management went into devising Ford's F1 'exit'
plan, which also included selling engine supplier Cosworth.
Parry-Jones insisted: ''You don't take (those) kinds of
Juan vows to 'blow Kimi away'
(GMM -- Nov.16) Juan Pablo Montoya is aiming to thrash 2005
Formula One team-mate Kimi Raikkonen.
The pair will race against each other for the first time at
McLaren next season, and 25-year-old incumbent team driver
Raikkonen, a Finn, will want to 'blow me away,' Montoya
''I aim to do the same thing to him,'' 29-year-old Juan
Pablo, who was born in Colombian capital Bogotá and raced
for Williams since 2001, told German publication Auto Bild.
He added: ''A new team is like a new toy. I feel like it's
my first day at school.''
Red Bull and Michelin
(GMM -- Nov.16) Formula One team Red Bull Racing, formerly
Ford-owned Jaguar, is 'in negotiation' with tire supplier
Michelin about staying on the same rubber next year.
Continuing team principal Tony Purnell said the 2005 'R6'
car, to forthwith be known as 'RB1' (Red Bull 1), was
'designed around' the French product.
He explained: ''We are hoping to continue that
No Brit GP - report
(GMM -- Nov.16) F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone and the
historic grand prix circuit at Silverstone have failed to
reach agreement for a 2005 British grand prix.
Last week, the track-owning British Racing Drivers' Club
expressed optimism after an apparently 'constructive'
meeting of F1 principals and the 74-year-old calendar
A promoters' contract - which landed on Alex Hooton's desk
last Friday - must be signed and submitted before the next
World Council meeting in December.
But a report in the Daily Telegraph said the BRDC executive
was 'staggered' to discover that Ecclestone's new offer was
identical to an unacceptable one which preceded it.
Under the deal, the BRDC - not Ecclestone - would stay as
promoter, and the race would only be guaranteed for one
''The BRDC needed a minimum ... two years,'' the newspaper
said. ''(The BRDC) have called a meeting on Thursday to
discuss their response.''
Some Jag sponsors will stay
(GMM -- Nov.16) Most sponsors of defunct Formula One team
Jaguar will not stay under new ownership in 2005, continuing
principal Tony Purnell revealed.
He said 'some' backers may maintain a presence on the new,
colorful livery, 'but largely (Red Bull Racing) will be
looking for a new set of sponsors.'
There may also be some interest in the new team from China,
Purnell - who conducted a business trip in Shanghai and
Beijing in early October - told a London press conference.
''Over the coming months,'' said the Englishman, ''(the
potential Chinese deals will be) unveiled.''
Red Bull 'like Benetton'
(GMM -- Nov.16) 'Red Bull' has been likened to Benetton, the
clothing brand that once bought a Formula One team and won
the world championship within a decade.
Jaguar's Tony Purnell, who will stay at Milton-Keynes as
principal, said energy drink magnate Dieter Mateschitz's
plan is also to 'promote a brand' in racing.
''Red Bull has the same attitude as (Benetton) did,'' said
the Englishman at a news conference.'
Purnell and Ford group vice president Richard Parry-Jones
addressed the staff of more than 340 at the English F1 HQ on
He reported: ''The atmosphere was pretty bubbly!''
Red Bull to find alternative
(GMM -- Nov.16) Cosworth has admitted that 'Red Bull Racing'
may find an alternate engine supplier for the 2006 season.
Managing director Tim Routsis, who confirmed the arrangement
for next March's new F1 season, referred to the 'significant
rule changes' in Formula One for 2006.
Then, a compulsory V8 formula will descend on the pinnacle
of motor sport.
''We (at Cosworth are) reviewing the details of those
changes very carefully,'' Routsis explained.
Ralf's a 'mystery' - Montoya
(GMM -- Nov.16) Quite often, Ralf Schumacher has 'no
interest' in driving a Formula One car quickly, former
four-year team-mate Juan Pablo Montoya said.
The outspoken Colombian driver, who - like Ralf - is also
moving from BMW-Williams for 2005, said the younger brother
of world champion Michael Schumacher is 'very good' when
he's on it.
He told Germany's Auto Bild: ''(Ralf) can be very fast. But
(sometimes) he's not the same -- it's a mystery to me.''
29-year-old Montoya also pointed the finger at Williams'
engine partner BMW, who got 'more demanding in all areas' in
the duration of season 2004.
''I don't know exactly ... what's normal in Formula One
between two partners,'' he confessed.
Feedback can be sent to
Go to our
to discuss this article
Copyright 1999-2014 AutoRacing1 is an
independent internet online publication and is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or endorsed
by the IRL., NASCAR, FIA, Sprint, or any other series sponsor.
This material may not be published, broadcast, or redistributed without