Latest F1 news in brief
by Andrew Maitland
May 20, 2005
McLaren to rotate 'third' job
(GMMf1NET -- May.20) McLaren testers Alex Wurz and Pedro de
la Rosa will alternate the 'third' driver role at grands
Wurz, the Austrian, took to the MP4-20 cockpit at Monaco,
after de la Rosa - a more recent addition to the Woking
lineup - drove around Barcelona.
''We will switch between the two for the rest of the
season,'' said a team spokesman.
DC may bare all
(GMMf1NET -- May.20) Girls around Monte Carlo, prepare to
Earlier this week in Monaco, Red Bull driver David Coulthard
- recently voted by a magazine as the third most handsome on
the grid - vowed to 'drop my pants' if he lands on the
podium on Sunday.
After going third quickest in Thursday practice, the
34-year-old Scot blushed: ''I hope I've not been too rash.''
Engine Trulli intact
(GMMf1NET -- May.20) Toyota's Jarno Trulli has downplayed an
earlier worry about his Monte Carlo-spec engine.
The Italian, who powered the same two-race unit to the
Barcelona podium, later admitted that he had sensed a fault.
Under 2005 rules, though, an engine change for Monaco would
cost ten - crucial - grid spots.
''Regarding the engine,'' Trulli said after Thursday
practice, ''no problem at all.''
In fact, despite initially failing to shine on the track,
last year's Monaco winner - albeit for Renault - refused to
rule out the double.
''This is the only race,'' Jarno said, ''where you can't
really expect anything. I may win even from the back of the
Safer testing plan backed
(GMMf1NET -- May.20) David Coulthard's fellow Grand Prix
Drivers' Association directors have backed the Scot's quest
for better safety at F1 testing locations.
Jarno Trulli echoed the claim that conditions at tests are
'not as good' as at grands prix.
''We want to push the teams, the FIA, everyone, to raise the
standard,'' said the Italian.
A third director, Williams' Mark Webber, added that the
crucial issue is the quality of 'medical backup' in the
event of bad smashes at tests.
''It's absolutely full on at races,'' the 28-year-old
Australian said, ''but it is a bit shallow when we are
''It needs to be addressed quite quickly.''
(GMMf1NET -- May.20) Jordan-Midland 'managing director'
Colin Kolles has criticized the team's former F1 management
for badly handling the sale of its Brackley wind tunnel.
It was recently reported that team founder Eddie Jordan
ordered that locks be changed at the facility after new
owner Alex Shnaider missed a deadline to complete the deal.
But Kolles claims Midland took up the 'option' to buy the
tunnel by the 31 March deadline.
''The other side didn't act correctly,'' he told Autosport
magazine, ''and (they) went and changed the locks.''
Feedback can be sent to
Go to our
to discuss this article
Copyright 1999-2012 AutoRacing1 is an
independent internet online publication and is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or endorsed
by the IRL., NASCAR, FIA, Sprint, or any other series sponsor.
This material may not be published, broadcast, or redistributed without