Latest F1 news in brief
by Andrew Maitland
September 9, 2005
Button vows to keep fighting
(GMMf1NET -- Sep.9) Jenson Button, desperate to stay at BAR-Honda next
year, says talks with Williams are heading 'in the right direction.'
As wild theories - such as one that would see the English driver sit
out 2006 and 2007 - do the rounds, JB urged his would-be boss to help
'clear up' the wrangle before the end of the current year.
''I can't say anything else,'' Button, 25, insisted in Belgium.
''We've talked, yes.''
While the willingness to go into detail was obviously lacking, Jenson
did reveal that - unlike the livid battle involving David Richards of
a year ago, when ironically he wanted to switch from BAR to Williams -
'Buttongate II' is at least amicable.
''It is definitely more amicable,'' he agreed.
''The way I went about it this year has been much better.''
Button also said that he would not hesitate to race Fernando Alonso
and Kimi Raikkonen at Spa Francorchamps even though splitting the pair
could affect the world championship.
He quizzed: ''What else am I supposed to do?
''I'm not going to hold back, we're here to do a job and I think it
will spice (the battle) up a bit, if I'm quick enough.''
Alonso must wait for title
(GMMf1NET -- Sep.9) Fernando Alonso does not think he will wrap up his
first drivers' world F1 championship on Sunday.
The Spaniard, whose Renault team has replaced cigarette branding with
a dragon-inspired livery at Spa Francorchamps, could lift the sport's
ultimate prize in Belgium if he outscores rival Kimi Raikkonen by four
''I need Kimi to retire from the race, basically,'' the 24-year-old -
acknowledging that Raikkonen's McLaren is still quicker - said. ''I
don't think that's going to happen.
''I think we'll have to wait but I'm not thinking about it.''
Alonso is right to be pessimistic. Perhaps more than any other circuit
so far in 2005, Spa's fast curves are expected to perfectly suit the
MP4-20. Finland's Raikkonen, though - who won in Belgium a year ago -
is similarly not holding his breath.
''We haven't given up,'' the 25-year-old said at Spa, ''but everyone
knows (the title is) not going to be easy for us without problems for
''Even if we win all the last races it's not going to happen.''
Alonso pay rise ruled out
(GMMf1NET -- Sep.9) Flavio Briatore has warned Renault charge Fernando
Alonso to forget asking for a massive pay rise if he becomes the
youngest ever champion on Sunday.
At just 24 years of age, the quiet Spaniard is poised to inherit
Michael Schumacher's drivers' crown after carving out a
But Briatore, the team principal, said Alonso and Schumacher - who
earns around $50m a year from Ferrari - will not be earning similar
Alonso's current retainer is $9m.
''I don't know if anyone is trying to steal Fernando,'' 'Flav' -
although no doubt aware of Ferrari's interest in Alonso - said at Spa
Francorchamps. ''We do not pay $45m to any driver, but money is not
the issue. I don't think Michael (Schumacher) is too happy to be
driving his car at the moment.''
Alonso's contract runs out at the end of next year. Lining up in the
Renault queue are names like GP2 star Heikki Kovalainen.
Schu rules out Spa win
(GMMf1NET -- Sep.9) Michael Schumacher says beleaguered Ferrari
supplier Bridgestone is working flat out to produce a competitive F1
Indeed, the Japanese marque will unveil yet another previously
un-raced specification at Spa Francorchamps, after - Indy excluded -
failing to win a single grand prix so far in 2005.
''You have to trust people and we trust Bridgestone,'' Germany's
Schumacher said on Thursday.
''They have so much experience, we have won so many races together,
they have won even without Ferrari.
''In 1998 and 1999 nobody believed that McLaren could be caught. In
2002 nobody thought that Bridgestone could be caught. We can catch
Schumacher warned, however, that any catching up will probably have to
wait until later this year, or perhaps even until the 2006 season
''I think we can do better (at Spa),'' he insisted, ''but it surely
won't be enough to win.
''We're working hard to make everything perfect but we also have to
depend on our partners.''
Trulli baulks at Ralf wage
(GMMf1NET -- Sep.9) It was perhaps only a matter of time before Jarno
Trulli openly baulked at the fatter pay-packet of teammate Ralf
While Cologne based Toyota is believed to pay the Italian speedster
some $9-10 million per year, 30-year-old Schumacher is on a whopping
This might be fair enough, if Schumacher led the red and whites.
''At Monza I was five tenths per lap faster than Ralf,'' Jarno
complained to Italian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport.
''Our abilities have been measured and remunerated in opposite
directions. But to me, money isn't everything -- I prefer to have a
Trouble is, 31-year-old Jarno doesn't even have that. Although the
hard-on-tires TF105 often qualifies well, his rivals moan regularly
about 'Trulli's Toyota Train' that holds up quicker race cars.
Still sledging Ralf, he continued: ''They should go and check the race
pace of my teammate.''
JT also cast a gloomy glare at the Toyota team, who - although
starting well in 2005 - appear to have stalled in terms of car
development. Indeed, a 'b' spec car, intended for debut at Monza or
Spa, is believed to have been scrapped.
''I'm not accusing anyone,'' he sighed.
(GMMf1NET -- Sep.9) Fernando Alonso should slip a quiet 'thanks' to
his teammate when he ties up the 2005 championship, according to
Renault's Giancarlo Fisichella.
The Roman marvels at the fact that, while his own campaign has been
blighted by a seemingly dire run of technical trouble, Spaniard
Alonso, 24, has raced through the carnage to a near-invincible spot on
the drivers' table.
''My 2005 season has been useful for Renault -- everything got
broken,'' 32-year-old Fisichella told the Gazzetta dello Sport
''The result is Alonso leading the championship.''
Renault boss Flavio Briatore, who - while a little frustrated with
Fisichella's pace - is believed to be ready to confirm the Italian for
2006, agrees that Alonso seems to be the luckier of the two.
But Giancarlo's countryman continued: ''That's the way it seems to be
''If there is a problem in this team, Fisichella has it.''
'Max can stay' - Stoddart
(GMMf1NET -- Sep.9) F1's team and carmaker majority is no longer
calling for the scalp of FIA president Max Mosley.
That's the revelation of Minardi boss Paul Stoddart, whose disdain for
the English boss reached such a climax as threatening to sell Minardi
and quit the sport if 'Mad Max' were not removed from the job.
Now, though, it's all quiet on the political front.
''Max created that idea by the way he was doing things,'' Stoddart,
the Faenza based team principal, told Autosport.
However, Mosley fronted the media at Monza a week ago and - after a
deliberate cease-fire in the political squabble for formula one's
future - gave a pretty level headed account of the landscape.
Millionaire Paul Stoddart agreed: ''If the Max we've got today is the
Max that stays, then I don't see a real problem. It's not the Max we
had from February to July.''
The Minardi boss, nonetheless, has bated breathe.
He called the eerie and odd 'peace' presently in the Paddock as
''fragile. (It) could easily be fractured by one person, either side,
''Feedback can be sent to
Go to our
to discuss this article
Copyright 1999-2012 AutoRacing1 is an
independent internet online publication and is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or endorsed
by the IRL., NASCAR, FIA, Sprint, or any other series sponsor.
This material may not be published, broadcast, or redistributed without