A rumor rated as 'speculation' is one that has no supporting information
A rumor rated as 'strong' is one where we received information from more than one source.
A rumor rated as 'fact' is one that has proven to be true
A rumor rated as 'false' is one that has proven to be false based on new information
These rumors are just that, RUMORS, and are not to be taken as 'fact'
unless so noted. Please visit our Hot News page for news. If you have a rumor, or can supply
more information about one listed here,
e-mail us with as
much supporting information as possible and we may post it. User Agreement and Disclaimer.
Newer rumors supersede older ones of the same topic. Go to our
discuss any rumor.
Formula 1 chairman Chase Carey says that the 2020 calendar will remain at 21 races, but will drop two current venues, meaning along with the already agreed Vietnam GP, another new venue will join the calendar next year.
It's believed the Spanish and German grands prix will face the chop to make way for Vietnam and the return of the Dutch GP.
Speculation on the Corvette C8 Mid-Engine convertible
Corvette C8. What will the convertible look like?
As sure as we are that fire is hot and water is wet, it is inevitable that the C8-generation Chevrolet Corvette will eventually be offered as a convertible.
Much like the outgoing C7 Corvette, the mid-engine coupe is tipped to receive a hardtop which can be easily lifted off and stored. A dedicated Corvette Convertible model is also expected to arrive at some stage and the following renderings from Chazcron, shared by Corvette Blogger, provide us with a glimpse of how this model could look.
Motivated by F1 superstar Fernando Alonso’s interest in the Bathurst 1000, Supercars is looking at reducing testing restrictions on big-name foreign drivers to make it easier for them to contest The Great Race as wild cards.
Auto Action has learned that moves are underway to remove test time and tire allocation limits on internationals who sign-up to race in the annual October classic.
Walkinshaw Andretti United co-owner Ryan Walkinshaw has re-confirmed that Alonso, who has ties to the team through co-owner and McLaren racing boss Zak Brown, is keen to contest the Bathurst 1000 from next year.
NASCAR President Steve Phelps gave details Thursday about the contract that is bringing the ceremony to Nashville at the Associated Press Sports Editors Commissioners Meetings at the NASCAR offices in New York.
Hot on the heels of 2018 NASCAR champion Joey Logano and his Penske team visiting the White House and President Trump, rumor has it that Tiger Woods is "scheduled to also visit the White House next week to meet with President Trump" following his win at The Masters, according to a source.
Trump last month said that he intended to present Woods with the nation’s "highest civilian award, the presidential Medal of Freedom, following his comeback victory at the Masters."
That ceremony "will be held later this year." WSJ.com
Can Mark Miles pull a rabbit out of the hat this time?
UPDATE A reader writes, Dear AutoRacing1.com, I have read over the years about so many rumored IndyCar engine manufacturers and nothing ever comes of them. Is there an engine manufacturer in the world that has NOT turned IndyCar down? Mordichai Rosen. LA, California
Dear Mordichai, Probably not. When they see those minuscule NBCSN TV Ratings they run for the hills. Instead of buying airtime and putting all the NBCSN races on NBC, IndyCar wanted to save money. The result, no 3rd engine manufacturer. 10 years on NBCSN, 10 years of a rumored 3rd engine manufacture, 10 years of failure. Mark C. reporting for AR1.com
Porsche 718 Cayman, Boxster to Be All-Electric by 2022
Race version of Porsche Cayman
According to an earlier media report, Porsche's chairman confirmed that fully-electric versions of the 718 Boxster and the 718 Cayman will launch within three years. Yesterday, Porsche's chairman Oliver Blume confirmed that the company has "prototypes of the 718 running in electric now, and a hybrid prototype is being built...although it is not yet clear whether it would be a plug-in hybrid or hybrid."
That being said, we can expect to see fully electric renditions of the 718 Boxster and Cayman by 2022 and possibly a set of hybrid versions as well. According to the report, hybrid models are being pursued to provide drivers with a range over 186 miles without significantly altering the mid-engine platform architecture.
Chip Ganassi Racing COO Doug Duchardt said on Friday that talks have yet to begin on a possible extension between CGR driver Kurt Busch and sponsor Monster Energy.
Duchardt told THE DAILY: “Obviously he’s come in and done a great job; Monster’s been a great partner so far. When the time’s right, I’m sure we’ll be talking to both of them. But right now, we haven’t started any of those discussions." Busch is currently on a one-year deal with Monster.
Chevy to add 2nd shift at Corvette Plant to Keep Up With C8 Demand (Update)
AR1.com sources say Chevy will race the C8 next year in IMSA and at LeMans
UPDATE This rumor is upgraded to 'fact' today.
General Motors is adding a second shift and more than 400 hourly jobs at its Bowling Green (Kentucky) Assembly plant to support production of the Next Generation Corvette, which will be revealed on July 18, 2019. The addition of the second shift will increase the plant’s workforce to more than 1,300.
If Supercars neuters Mustangs, Penske team will just unleash more power (Update)
The Penske Mustangs are believed to have power to spare
UPDATE This article explains that Supercars has decided to neuter the Penske Fords. Now we will see how much spare power they have to overcome the slap on the wrist.
04/22/19 Paul Morris expects Shell V-Power Racing to have more pace up its sleeve even if the Ford Mustang Supercar’s aerodynamics are hobbled somewhat.
Despite Ford teams being made to move ballast to the rooves of their cars as a center of gravity adjustment, to which Holden teams were also subject to a lesser extent, DJR Team Penske won three of the four subsequent races across the Symmons Plains and Phillip Island events.
Ford has announced it will terminate their factory Ford GT GTLM effort at the end of 2019. Will they come back into IMSA with a DPi 2.0 car?
Ford Performance motorsports director Mark Rushbrook has indicted they wouldn’t necessarily need to enter DPi next year in order to be on the grid for IMSA’s so-called ‘DPi 2.0’ formula that’s slated to debut in 2022.
The American manufacturer, which has confirmed the Ford GT’s full factory involvement will end this year, has yet to detail any potential future sports car racing programs beyond global customer support for the Ford GT and Mustang GT4.
Ford, however, is known to be in evaluations for a potential DPi effort that could debut as early as next year, ahead of IMSA’s regulations overhaul that is set to feature hybrid powertrains beginning in 2022.
IndyCar to switch to guaranteed spots for Indy 500 starting in 2020 (2nd Update)
A 105% rule should satisfy both sides of this argument
UPDATE A reader writes, Dear AutoRacing1.com, Why don't they lock in all the regulars but they must pass the 105% rule. Surely a full-time team can achieve that. There has to be some kind of limit so they have to try to be competitive. Jerry Marney
Dear Jerry, That is an excellent compromise suggestion. IndyCar should do it. Mark C.
More successful than it’s ever been with rising viewing figures and profits through the roof, there’s more and more countries and circuits clamoring to be a part of the MotoGP circus than ever before. And, with each track potentially bringing as much as £5 million to the table in order to be able to host a round, series organizers Dorna are keen to push the calendar from its current 19 races to potentially as many as 22 in the future.
But with a swing towards developing markets as attendance at traditional European races continues to fall, there could be some set to lose their spot on the calendar in the coming years too… With that in mind, we look at where MotoGP is likely to be heading in the future.
Truck and XFINITY races for Nashville? (2nd Update)
Carl Edwards winning at Nashville in 2011 in what is now the Xfinity Series
UPDATE An executive involved in Speedway Motorsports Inc.’s efforts to bring NASCAR national series racing back to Fairgrounds Speedway in Nashville, Tennessee, responded Tuesday to a report about the company’s talks with city officials.
NASCAR Rejects Monster Extension For New Sponsor Model
Monster Energy "offered to extend its title sponsorship of NASCAR’s Cup Series for one additional year" through '20, but NASCAR "rejected the overture because the sanctioning body is set on switching to a new tiered sponsorship model," according to sources cited by Adam Stern of SPORTS BUSINESS JOURNAL.
NASCAR was looking into switching to a system in '20 that will go "without a title sponsor for its top series and instead feature tiers of sponsorships."
Emma Bunton broke her silence on her Spice Girls bandmate Mel B’s recent admission that she had sex with Geri Halliwell who is now married to Red Bull boss Christian Horner.
The “America’s Got Talent” judge revealed during an interview that she had a brief fling with Halliwell back in the band’s heyday. A representative for Halliwell has since denied Mel B’s claims noting that they’ve been “hurtful to her family.”
The C8-generation Chevrolet Corvette is shaping up to use an eight-speed dual-clutch transmission with lineage to the gearbox previously used by the Porsche 918 Spyder, Road & Track reports.
Initial reports regarding the C8 Corvette indicated that a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission from Tremec would likely be used by most, if not all, C8 Corvette models. However, a recent order guide leaked for the supercar revealed that there will instead be an eight-speed connected to the car’s various V8 engines.
NASCAR to be forced to return to single car qualifying
The new rear spoiler is so large on the back of the Cup car they make a huge hole in the air so drafting in qualifying gains the car following a lot of speed
A potential return to single-car qualifying is being considered after a second controversial qualifying session over the weekend at Texas Motor Speedway.
Two weeks after a messy final round for the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series at Auto Club Speedway, where none of the 12 drivers completed a timed lap for the pole, Texas featured more waiting games on pit road – even after a NASCAR rules bulletin was issued with the intent of stopping such efforts.
NASCAR Executive Vice President and chief racing development officer Steve O’Donnell weighed in on the matter during his weekly appearance on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio’s The Morning Drive on Monday.
Copyright 1999-2019 | AutoRacing1 is an independent internet online publication and is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or endorsed by IndyCar, NASCAR, FIA, or any series sponsor.
This material may not be published, broadcast, or redistributed without permission.