A rumor rated as 'speculation' is one that has no supporting information
A rumor rated as 'strong' is one where we received information from more than one source.
A rumor rated as 'fact' is one that has proven to be true
A rumor rated as 'false' is one that has proven to be false based on new information
These rumors are just that, RUMORS, and are not to be taken as 'fact'
unless so noted. Please visit our Hot News page for news. If you have a rumor, or can supply
more information about one listed here,
e-mail us with as
much supporting information as possible and we may post it. User Agreement and Disclaimer.
Newer rumors supersede older ones of the same topic. Go to our
discuss any rumor.
Changes coming to NASCAR All-Star Race (3rd Update) UPDATE Updates to the current rules package aimed at reducing both downforce and side force will be in place this weekend when NASCAR Sprint Cup Series teams travel to Charlotte Motor Speedway to compete in the Sprint Showdown and Sprint All-Star race. According to Gene Stefanyshyn, senior vice president of innovation and racing development for the sanctioning body, three areas have been addressed with the updates.
They involve truck trailing arm and crossmember assembly, electric fans used for cooling purposes on the cars and rear wheel toe alignment.The trailing arm issue was actually addressed previously with a change put into place before the series competed earlier this month at Kansas Speedway. Teams must now weld truck trailing arm mounting brackets (and mounting tabs, if used) to prevent movement. That change will remain in place for the remainder of the 2016 season.
Indy 500 Entry List (10th Update) UPDATE #11 AR1.com has confirmed that Lazier is "in" The car is assembled, etc. We heard some rumor today that Lazier might entertain another driver besides Buddy, but we didn’t run into anyone from the team to confirm.
05/14/16 INDYCAR president of competition Jay Frye says there will be 33 entries in the Indianapolis 500, and possibly 34. There are currently 32 confirmed entries, with the thirty-third expected to be Lazier Partners Racing fielding the No. 4 entry for 1996 winner Buddy Lazier. The team has moved into a garage is Gasoline Alley. The thirty-fourth could be Grace Autosport, who have noted they have much of the package needed with the exception of a car.
05/12/16 Filippi is being replaced by Chaves so it looks like Conor Daly will drive the 4th Coyne car at Indy.
05/11/16 Chaves is now confirmed at Coyne. We are now at 31 confirmed entries, still two short of a full field. So who is out at Coyne - Daly or Filippi? Coyne will only run 4 cars and 3 of his drivers are confirmed below.
05/10/16 Racer reports that the Buddy Lazier deal is all but done. Still up in the air are the two Coyne entries in addition to Clauson and Mann - Daly and Filippi. Apparently one of those deals are not going to come through and Gabby Chaves is probably going to get the ride because he has sponsorship money ready to go. Testing starts Monday.
Renault lines up more ride-buyers to balance budget
Kevin Magnussen will soon see ride-buyers checks going toward Friday track cleaning sessions to pay the bills
(GMM) Kevin Magnussen says he is not sure what Renault has in mind with its growing list of young test drivers (but AR1 is. Renault bailed out the cash strapped Lotus team last year, that was bankrupt. In order to improve the balance sheet this year, Renault has to increase revenue using checks from as many ride-buyers as possible).
So far in 2016, Russian Sergey Sirotkin and Frenchman Esteban Ocon have driven the yellow car on a Friday morning.
And now it emerges that the French marque plans to give a similar chance to Nicolas Latifi, having run the 20-year-old Canadian at Silverstone recently to acquire his super license.
Watkins Glen to replace Boston GP (5th Update) UPDATE #5
(L to R) Scott Dixon, Jay Frye and Michael Printup
Below, is the release from INDYCAR. This rumor, broke by AR1.com during the Long Beach weekend, is upgraded to 'fact.'
INDIANAPOLIS – INDYCAR is reuniting with an old friend for Labor Day weekend.
The sanctioning organization announced today that the Verizon IndyCar Series will return to Watkins Glen International in upstate New York for an event on Sept. 1-4. Indy Lights presented by Cooper Tires, the top rung of the Mazda Road to Indy developmental ladder, will also be part of the weekend schedule.
INDYCAR close to deal with Facebook? AR1 is hearing that INDYCAR is close to completing a deal with Facebook, which would see all non-televised sessions streamed and promoted on the social networking site. We've also been told that Facebook contacted INDYCAR not the other way around.
We'll pass long more information as we receive it.
John Barnes getting back in? John Barnes has been at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway this week, and AutoRacing1 is hearing the former owner of Panther Racing wants back in to the Verizon IndyCar Series.
Panther, of course, began competing in the Indy Racing League in 1998. It's best years were from 2001-2003 which saw Sam Hornish Jr. win 11 races and capture the series championship in 2001 and 2002. In total, Panther Racing captured 15 IndyCar Series wins.
Ryan Newman is likely toast at RCR so Childress can make room for his grandson
Ryan Newman and car owner Richard Childress both offered little on Newman's future with Richard Childress Racing on Wednesday. Newman signed a three-year contact to drive for the team beginning with the 2014 season. This is Newman's third year with the organization. No extension on Newman's contract has been announced.
With RCR at three cars and Ty Dillon, Childress' grandson, on the path to move to Cup, the question is what RCR's driver lineup will be next year if it doesn't find sponsorship to expand to four cars.
"I'll keep doing this as long as somebody wants me to do it and it's fun doing it," Newman said of his future.
Kyle Busch does donuts, with loose lugnuts and all
NASCAR initiated a rule that teams must now have all five lug nuts "installed in a safe and secure manner throughout all national series events." The new rules went into effect two weeks ago at Talladega Superspeedway. Immediately following that race, NASCAR secured the cars coming off the track onto pit road and checked the security of the lug nuts. A similar procedure was in place at Kansas Speedway last weekend, and NASCAR cleared all cars during post-race inspection.
But that didn't stop conspiracy theorists from debating whether Saturday night's winning driver, Kyle Busch, had five lug nuts tight on all four wheels of his #18 Toyota at Kansas Speedway. Photos - though inconclusive - appeared on social media showing Busch's wheels, and there was plenty of comment on the internet claiming the photos show all the lugs on Busch's car weren't tight.
Ferrari won't win an F1 title again until Aldo Costa leaves Mercedes and returns to Ferrari from which he came. He 'made' Michael Schumacher and now he's 'making' Hamilton and Rosberg.
(GMM) Former F1 driver Gabriele Tarquini has backed suggestions Ferrari might now be on the cusp of making some more high-profile personnel changes.
Italy's Autosprint claims this week that, with Sergio Marchionne unhappy about the results so far in 2016, Briton James Allison might be in line to take over from Ferrari team boss Maurizio Arrivabene.
The rumor concludes that Aldo Costa, Mercedes' engineering chief, might then return to Ferrari, but so far neither team has commented on the speculation.
But Italian Tarquini, a former F1 driver of the 80s and 90s who went on to become a highly successful touring car driver, thinks another shakeup might be just what the Maranello team needs.
"As an Italian, the current results of Ferrari make me sad of course," the 54-year-old told Germany's Auto Bild.
IndyCar looking at adding 2 new races in 2017 IndyCar has "narrowed its search" for a 16th race to replace Boston on its '16 schedule to two venues -- Watkins Glen Int'l and Gateway Motorsports Park in Madison, Ill.
The selection "likely will be based on which is deemed better for inclusion" in '17. WGI President Michael Printup "initially balked at the suggestion IndyCar could race in upstate New York in four months ... but he apparently is warming to the idea."
Why did Boston GP CEO John Casey cancel the Boston GP IndyCar race without warning? Were someone's pockets lined?
We know Bernie Ecclestone wants a 2nd F1 race in the USA. Now that the groundwork design and most of the permits have been obtained, has Bernie Ecclestone outfoxed IndyCar and now eyeing to take the Boston GP race from them?
Engineers leave Toro Rosso (GMM) Max Verstappen's race engineer has also left Toro Rosso.
However, Xevi Pujolar - a highly experienced engineer who has also worked for Williams with race winners Mark Webber and Juan Pablo Montoya - is not accompanying the 18-year-old Dutchman to the senior team Red Bull.
Rumors suggest he fell out with Toro Rosso amid Dr Helmut Marko's admission that tension between Verstappen and Carlos Sainz's respective sides of the garage was swirling out of control.
IndyCar pitch for race at Suffolk Downs rejected Boston Mayor Martin J. Walsh and the head of IndyCar's parent group shut the door on a Grand Prix race in Boston this year after the local promoters made a last-ditch attempt to move the course to Suffolk Downs, sources tell the Herald.
Walsh and Mark Miles, CEO of Hulman and Co., which owns the Verizon IndyCar series, put out an unusual joint statement this afternoon pledging to work toward reviving an IndyCar race "in the future" but making clear it would be with a new promoter, not Boston Grand Prix.
Boston Grand Prix files appeal AR1 is hearing Boston Grand Prix has appealed last month's Boston Conservation Commission decision requiring the promotion group for the recently canceled Grand Prix of Boston Powered by LogMeIn to obtain certain permits and licenses to begin construction on the race course. The decision, and the litigation process it created, was one of the main factors in BGP canceling the Grand Prix last week. We await official word on the appeal.
So, why the appeal for an event that is not going to take place?
Watkins Glen repave complete; would NASCAR run "the boot"? (Update) UPDATE AR1 has it on extremely good word that NASCAR will NOT run The Boot at Watkins Glen. Running The Boot would add about a mile to the current Short Course configuration and thus shorten the number of times the cars will come by. For NASCAR fans used to being able to see the whole track, adding a mile of space in which fans do not see their favorite drivers makes no sense.
Anyway, take this one to the bank. NASCAR will not run The Boot. This rumor is downgraded to false.
Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum Could Soon Double In Size, With A Price Of $100M
The Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum, which "looks much as it did when it opened in its current location 40 years ago, may be on the verge of transformation," according to Will Higgins of the INDIANAPOLIS STAR.
IMS Foundation Exec Dir Betsy Smith said, "The lighting, the technology, it's vintage 1976.
We're a racing museum, but nothing in here moves. Except the trophy. ... I'd like to get some interactive technology in here and some video so that visitors could really experience racing."
Verstappen to replace Kvyat at Red Bull Racing by Spain (Update) UPDATE
This rumor is upgraded to 'fact' now. Max Verstappen will replace Daniil Kvyat at Red Bull Racing with immediate effect. In a straight swap, the move will also see Kvyat will return to Toro Rosso from the Spanish Grand Prix, F1Today.net reports.
According to various sources, Kvyat has been under fire for his poor performances during the past two Grand Prix's in China and Sochi, owing to contact with Sebastian Vettel, with the German retiring on the opening lap in the most recent race. He was asked to come to the Red Bull Racing headquarters at Milton Keynes this week to discuss the race and his actions.
Sources have told F1Today.net that Verstappen - who was speculated to join Red Bull Racing for next year - will drive for Renault-powered squad from the Spanish Grand Prix onwards. The Dutchman will be at the factory this week to do a seat fitting later this week.
(GMM) The introduction of cockpit-mounted head protection may need to wait until 2018, according to a report in Germany's Auto Motor und Sport.
That is despite the fact F1 race director Charlie Whiting said in Sochi last weekend that a July 1 deadline had been set for the introduction of either the 'halo' or 'aeroscreen' devices for next season.
"It would be unreasonable if we didn't have a clear path by that time," he said.
Fiat Chrysler, Google in talks on self-driving technology (Update) UPDATE This rumor is upgraded to 'fact' today. Fiat Chrysler and Google’s self-driving car project are in advanced talks to form a technical partnership. The talks were confirmed Thursday by a person familiar with the discussions. The person asked not to be named because the discussions are private.
The partnership would be the first to match an automaker with Google’s 7-year-old autonomous car project, which is now part of the so-called X lab at Alphabet, Google’s parent company.
Possible replacements for failed Boston GP (3rd Update) UPDATE 3 It's looking less and less likely there will be a replacement for the canceled Boston GP. Strike another one from our list below. One of IndyCar’s first calls was to Michael Printup, the Watkins Glen president. Printup is known to be one of IndyCar’s biggest fans, but he told series President Jay Frye the track’s schedule wouldn’t permit an event on such short notice. "Every day is booked (as) we have five events plus track rentals,” Printup told IndyStar on Tuesday. “I told Jay we have one day available, and it’s a Monday."
05/03/16 As predicted by AR1.com, you can remove Providence, RI from the list of possible replacements below. Despite reports linking Providence to a potential stop on the IndyCar circuit, city and state officials say they have not heard any interest from race organizers in Indianapolis.
NASCAR Expected To Unveil Cup Series Schedule Record early NASCAR is expected to release its '17 Cup Series schedule by the end of this week, according to multiple sources, following through on the goal to get the slate out significantly earlier than in the past. Sources said that the sanctioning body, which has been able to speed up the scheduling process via its five-year track sanctioning agreement that was implemented this season, has told industry stakeholders to expect a Thursday morning release. NASCAR did not return a request for comment on the matter by presstime.
What might a Ferrari car look like in 2040? With all the new technology rolling out together with cars these days, there's very little doubt that being behind the wheel of an automobile will be a very different experience a couple of decades from now. Maybe cars will be safer, easier to use and, hopefully, more fun to drive. Hell, it isn't even a stretch to assume that cars will be driving themselves in a decade or so.
Technology aside, however, what would the cars of the future look like? More specifically, what would tomorrow's sports cars look like? This is the question Ferrari is hoping to answer with its "Top Design School Challenge," a worldwide design contest aimed at providing us with a glimpse of what the Italian carmaker's vehicles might look like by the time 2040 rolls around.
Boston IndyCar race could be in jeopardy (14th Update) UPDATE #14 This rumor is upgraded to 'fact' today. The Boston GP is history. Scroll down and read the comment box in the very first iteration of this rumor back on September 29th when AR1.com predicted you could stick a fork in this event.
03/23/16 AutoRacing1 is hearing that Boston City Councilman Bill Linehan has asked for a hearing regarding the Grand Prix of Boston presented by LogMeIn at today’s Boston City Council Meeting. According to an Order from Linehan the hearing would address the fact “Residents have voiced concerns about negative impacts on safety, environment, and quality of life in and around their neighborhood before, during, and after the race.”
Montreal a backup if Boston GP fails? (Update) UPDATE Will IndyCar do a deal with Montreal to replace the Boston GP that was cancelled today? They should.
The crowd in Montreal for the 2002 CART race was massive, but after that Tony George's hammer on the sport was too much and the race attendance fell
04/25/16 Norris McDonald of the Toronto Star writes: The Grand Prix Boston, which plans to run a Verizon IndyCar Series race through the streets of that city on Labor Day weekend, was gobsmacked yet again at the end of last week when an environmental problem popped up.
This is just the latest of many roadblocks that have gotten in the way of this race ever happening.
The details are too murky for me to delve into here but suffice it to say that the race organizers now have to get a wetlands permit because of new climate change rules that recently kicked in.
If they go through that process from start to finish, the amount of time it will take to get the permit won’t allow them to finish building the course on time, they say. About all they can do is appeal the municipal demand to the state level, which will probably be a waste of time because all you have to do these days to put the kibosh to just about anything is to say any or all of these three words: environment and climate change.
IndyCar could be forced to cancel 2016 Boston GP (4th Update) UPDATE #4 This rumor is upgraded to 'fact' with today's announcement. The Boston GP is dead as predicted by AutoRacing1.com a long time ago.
04/23/16 A spokesman for the race organizers said in a statement that they plan to appeal the commission’s decision to the state Department of Environmental Protection.
"Recent amendments to the FEMA Flood Maps in March 2016 placed significant new areas in the city of Boston within the flood zone for the 100-year storm event," said Harry-Jacques Pierre. “Preparation for [the race] requires minimal work in the new flood zone."
In AR1.com's opinion, rather than appealing they had better have an engineering firm prepare the permit and get it submitted as an emergency request. A lot of money is at stake. Normally money would not be a reason the Corp of Engineers would grant a quick decision, but they can plead their case and hope for the best.
Fiat is the latest automaker to come under suspicion for excessive emissions from its diesel vehicles. So far the trouble is only in Germany, as opposed to VW's trouble in multiple countries. And instead of using VW's method of installing software that identifies when the car is undergoing an emissions test and only then turning on emissions control devices, Fiat is running out the clock. Because the German emissions test lasts around 20 minutes, Fiat is accused of having its NOx emissions control systems operate only for the first 22 minutes when the car starts up.
(GMM) Dr Helmut Marko has played down speculation Max Verstappen will definitely be promoted to Red Bull's senior team for 2017.
The Austrian, who runs the energy drink company's F1 driver program, was quoted recently as suggesting that because Dutchman Verstappen is so good, he will almost certainly move on after two years at Toro Rosso.
But he told Russia's Sport Express on Friday: "I did not mean anything specific. Do not cling to those words. I was just praising Max's progress.
Copyright 1999-2019 | AutoRacing1 is an independent internet online publication and is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or endorsed by IndyCar, NASCAR, FIA, or any series sponsor.
This material may not be published, broadcast, or redistributed without permission.