A rumor rated as 'speculation' is one that has no supporting information
A rumor rated as 'strong' is one where we received information from more than one source.
A rumor rated as 'fact' is one that has proven to be true
A rumor rated as 'false' is one that has proven to be false based on new information
These rumors are just that, RUMORS, and are not to be taken as 'fact'
unless so noted. Please visit our Hot News page for news. If you have a rumor, or can supply
more information about one listed here,
e-mail us with as
much supporting information as possible and we may post it. User Agreement and Disclaimer.
Newer rumors supersede older ones of the same topic. Go to our
discuss any rumor.
Red Sox Owner John Henry Is Exploring a Nascar Investment
Billionaire John Henry
Bloomberg reports that Billionaire John Henry has shown interest in buying a stake in Nascar, potentially adding to a sports empire that includes the Boston Red Sox and the Liverpool Football Club, people familiar with the situation said.
Nascar has been seeking minority investors, and Henry is already involved with the stock-car racing organization. His company, Fenway Sports Group, formed a partnership in 2007 with Roush Racing, home to drivers such as Matt Kenseth and Ricky Stenhouse Jr.
Ferrari is one of a number of high profile manufacturers ready to commit to the next ‘Hypercar’ regulations set to replace the current LMP1 from the 2020/2021 FIA WEC season.
Multiple industry sources have confirmed to DSC that the Italian supercar maker, which took part throughout the development process in the Technical Working Groups to develop the regulations, is actively evaluating a program for the second season of the regulations: 2021/2022. The marque is understood to be awaiting the final technical regulations to determine whether the budgets it requires to meet its commercial objectives will be achievable.
Michael Schumacher, dumped by Mercedes after 2012 just when the Aldo Costa designed car was getting good
The Daily Mail claims that Formula 1 legend Michael Schumacher is not bed-ridden as has been widely speculated and remains living in his $50-million mansion in the Swiss town of Gland, pouring cold water on reports the family were relocating to Mallorca.
The report reveals: “Sportsmail understands that he is not bed-ridden. Nor is he existing on tubes. Yet it is believed he is receiving extensive nursing and therapy care, which has been estimated to cost more than £50,000 a week.”
If the new McLaren is great you'll see how fast Alonso is back in F1
Thou Fernando Alonso is returning to Indianapolis next year, with a dedicated McLaren program behind him, his plans for the rest of the year are not yet known and if the new McLaren F1 car is quick, he'll be back driving F1 cars as soon as next year after Lando Norris gets his lunch eaten.
Insisting that the Spaniard will continue to have an important role in the McLaren family, Zak Brown doesn't rule out Alonso testing the team's 2019 F1 contender, the MCL34.
After 20 years in Formula One, I feel it’s the right time to reflect on things and evaluate what the next move is," said Williams Head of Performance Engineering, Rob Smedley on Monday. "I’m thoroughly looking forward to spending more time with my family before deciding on future opportunities.”
Four days later and it appears those "future opportunities" might include a return to Maranello.
Nissan caused Ghosn's arrest to save their Japanese CEO
In a power struggle at the top echelons of the automotive industry, Ghosn may have played the wrong hand and been framed. He doesn't look very happy.
Prior to his arrest in Japan last month over presumed financial misconduct, Carlos Ghosn was allegedly planning to remove Nissan CEO Hiroto Saikawa. The plot has certainly thickened writes Matt Posky of Truth About Cars.
Ghosn, who was serving as Nissan Motor Co.’s chairman at the time, was believed to be on the cusp of an upper-level management shakeup within the Renault–Nissan–Mitsubishi Alliance. Part of that plan included finding a new CEO for Nissan, according to inside sources.
The Wall Street Journal, who broke the story, reported that timeline of the managerial restructuring was cloudy but involved a meeting scheduled for November with Ghosn hoping to pull the trigger by next spring. “He was getting ready for a shakeup that was going to affect Saikawa,” one source claimed. “It was a path to a different CEO.”
The sale of gasoline and diesel vehicles in Israel will be banned by 2030
VW-ID Vizzion all-electric concept
In Israel , the legislation is expected to pass by the end of 2018 to ban the sale of all new gasoline and diesel internal combustion engine cars in 2030.
The move is inspired partly by Israel's recent discovery of several large deposits of natural gas.It's one of the latest developments in Israel's broader plan to wean itself off other more destructive fossil fuels.
Israel plans to ban the sale of new gas and diesel cars in 2030, and to replace them with cars powered by electricity or compressed natural gas. The Israeli government is expected to pass the measure, which is part of a broader plan to move the country away from diesel, gasoline and coal, by the end of 2018.
NASCAR has hired Deloitte to audit teams’ finances and create a common accounting platform, sources said, an unprecedented step that teams have agreed to in order to help find a new competitive balance framework writes Adam Stern of Sports Business Daily.
The sanctioning body has been working with teams in its top-flight Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series in recent years to cut costs and increase revenue, and the efforts have picked up steam under the direction of new Chairman and CEO Jim France. Continued slides in key performance indicators have further increased the urgency.
The idea to have an accounting firm measure teams’ spending to help establish a baseline has been on the table for more than a year, but NASCAR and teams only recently signed off on it, sources said.
Busch will take over the No. 1 Chevy from Jamie McMurray, who is going to run the Daytona 500 before retiring and taking on a new role as a TV analyst. Busch will run the No. 1 ride at Daytona, while McMurray will drive the No. 40.
UPDATE This rumor is upgraded to 'fact' with today's announcement.
09/11/18 Car owner Chip Ganassi told The Associated Press on Monday that he’s offered Jamie McMurray a contract to drive in next year’s Daytona 500 and then move into a leadership position with the team.
Such a move means the No. 1 car that McMurray has driven since 2010 would be open for next season.
McMurray declined to discuss his future plans on Friday. The Associated Press reported that Ganassi declined to comment on signing Kurt Busch for the No. 1 car for next year. Ganassi says McMurray has not decided if he will stay with the team or seek a full-time driving job elsewhere.
Pirelli may opt for harder F1 tire selections in 2019
Pirelli F1 tires
Pirelli may opt for a more conservative Formula 1 tire selection in 2019 that lead to more one-stop races, in order allow drivers to push more on-track instead of focusing on tire saving.
Teams sampled Pirelli’s full range of 2019 tires in the post-season test in Abu Dhabi last week, with the Italian tire supplier set to finalize their compounds for March's season-opening Australian Grand Prix later this week.
Despite inflation being too low, Fed Chairman Jerome Powell and his team of mental midgets raised interest rates too high too fast and killed both the housing and auto sales markets.
An analyst for investment bank Morgan Stanley predicts that Ford will follow in the footsteps of General Motors and eliminate thousands from its workforce in 2019 as part of a grand cost-cutting campaign said to total $11 billion.
The analyst, Adam Jonas, wrote Monday that he forecasts large-scale job eliminations at Ford, which Bloomberg says could total as many as 25,000.
"We estimate a large portion of Ford's restructuring actions will be focused on Ford Europe, a business we currently value at negative $7 billion," Jonas stated Monday. "But we also expect a significant restructuring effort in North America, involving significant numbers of both salaried and hourly UAW and CAW workers."
Black & Gold may be back in Formula 1 next year as Rich Energy revealed a livery option for the Haas cars they will sponsor next year via the tweet to the right.
The colors hark back to the iconic JPS Lotus era, black cars with gold piping are etched in Formula 1 history. The likes of Mario Andretti, Ronnie Peterson, Emerson Fittipaldi, Jackie Ickx, Elio de Angelis, Nigel Mansell and Ayrton Senna had spells in black and gold.
The first time the black and gold livery broke cover was for the 1972 season as John Player Team Lotus and the final season in 1986 on the Lotus 98T.
According to AR1.com sources, Joe Gibbs Racing will promote Chris Gabehart from crew chief on the 20 Xfinity series car to crew chief for Denny Hamlin on the FedEx-sponsored 11 Cup series car for 2019.
Gabehart is a former late model racer and engineering grad from Purdue University.
McLaren is poised to become the latest manufacturer to join the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship grid, with at least one of its new 720S GT3 cars “quite likely” to be racing in North America next year, according to McLaren Automotive director of motorsport Dan Walmsley.
The British manufacturer, which made its entrance into IMSA competition with the 570S GT4 in Michelin Pilot Challenge last year, is sizing up a global launch for its first in-house built GT3 car, which is set to debut in next month’s Gulf 12 Hours.
With Fernando Alonso confirmed to drive the No. 10 Wayne Taylor Racing Cadillac next January with Jordan Taylor and Renger van der Zande in the Rolex 24, Ryan Hunter-Reay will likely be forced to find another ride in the twice around the clock classic.
Jimmie Johnson is rumored to be their 4th driver.
Since Hunter-Reay is tied to Honda in IndyCar, perhaps he will find a ride with one of the Acura teams
Pirelli wins bid to remain F1 tire supplier (Update)
Marco Tronchetti Provera
UPDATE This rumor is upgraded to 'fact' today.
Pirelli will remain as Global Tire Partner of the FIA Formula One World Championship for a further four years, after renewing its current contract - which lasts until the end of the 2019 season - to extend from 2020 to 2023.
The agreement was completed in a short timeframe, following on from the successful partnership over recent years. FOM and Pirelli have agreed on all initiatives requested by the sport currently, and have reaffirmed their commitment to work together towards the new technical regulations expected for 2021, including the 18-inch tire.
UPDATE This rumor is upgraded to 'fact' today. Williams Martini Racing is delighted to announce Robert Kubica will complete the team’s driver line-up for 2019, partnering George Russell in the 2019 FIA Formula One World Championship.
Robert impressed the team after conducting several tests for Williams in 2017 before taking on the role of Reserve & Development Driver for the team for the 2018 season. During this time Robert has spent extensive time working both trackside and at the factory, also having the opportunity to drive the FW41 during official testing and a number of FP1 practice sessions.
Homestead-Miami Speedway is closing in on its fifth consecutive grandstand sellout for this weekend's Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Ford EcoBoost 400 championship race, track President Matt Becherer said. HMS seats about 46,000 people, and a scan of the track’s ticket microsite showed only around a hundred seats remaining to be sold.
ISC tracks can announce grandstand sellouts when within 1.5% of having no tickets left, sources said, so HMS is likely already within that range. Becherer said that hospitality sales are also strong and he is expecting to announce the sellout in the next 48 hours.
Mercedes likes Ocon, especially - since he takes out their rivals. How many times did he and his teammate Sergio Perez crash into each other over the years? Too many to count. Ocon has a reputation as a crasher. Maybe he is better just being a simulator driver - less physical car damage
Esteban Ocon could be the test driver for all the Mercedes-powered teams come 2019; that’s according to Toto Wolff.
Ocon is without a race seat for next year’s championship as he is set to lose his Force India drive to Lance Stroll.
That means just Williams remains an option for the Frenchman, however, with Robert Kubica believed to be leading the running for that seat, Ocon may have to settle for a test driver role.
“He could be a test driver for us, Force India and maybe Williams,” Mercedes motorsport boss Wolff told Auto Motor und Sport.
We have always maintained that there is too much opposition to an F1 race in downtown Miami for it ever to come off. However we would love to be proven wrong.
Spain-based F1 reporter @AlbertFabrega tweeted Friday that Indianapolis, presumably @IMS, is an option that F1 is considering for a second U.S. race in 2020 if Miami doesn't work out, along with Las Vegas:
John Malone was again looking to buy IndyCar and IMS, but was he turned away?
UPDATE The original rumor was that Liberty wanted to buy IndyCar and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, but the powers to be keep saying it is not for sale.
That was the case before the Nov. 3 death of Mari Hulman George--the matriarch of IMS and IndyCar Series parent Hulman & Co. And it’s still the case.
“As a practice, we don’t discuss our corporate ownership structure. However, the passing of Mari Hulman George does not affect the operation of IMS and IMS is not for sale,” Speedway President Doug Boles told Anthony Schoetle of IBJ.
"After 20 years in Formula One, I feel it’s the right time to reflect on things and evaluate what the next move is," said Williams Head of Performance Engineering, Rob Smedley on Monday when he announced he was leaving Williams.
"I’m thoroughly looking forward to spending more time with my family before deciding on future opportunities.”
By Friday in Brazil (yesterday) it appears those "future opportunities" might include a return to Maranello.
France Family to take ISC private to avoid showing how many billions they are earning from its race fans
Nascar offered to acquire International Speedway Corp. in a deal that values the owner of the Daytona International Speedway at $1.85 billion and would combine the companies into a privately held group owned by Nascar’s controlling family.
International Speedway said Friday that it has formed a special committee of independent directors to consider the deal and that no decisions have been made in response to the proposal. Nascar and ISC will continue to operate as separate and independent entities in the interim.
UPDATE A reader writes, Dear AR1.com, Why would the Mayor of Rio put out a video about an IndyCar race coming to Rio de Janeiro if it wasn't true? Dan Smithfield
Dear Dan, Just because IndyCar denied there was a deal for a race in Rio, doesn't mean one isn't imminent. While there probably isn't a signed agreement yet, the Rio Mayor wasn't going to put out a video making a complete jackass out of himself unless he was very confident. IndyCar just didn't like the fact he stole all their thunder. Mark C. reporting for AR1.com
11/08/18 This rumor is downgraded to 'speculation' for now. IndyCar has denied claims by Rio de Janeiro mayor Marcelo Crivella that the series will return to Brazil in 2020.
According to one IndyCar official who spoke with RACER, the interest shown by the local government, while appreciated, is a one-sided affair at the moment, and no plans are in motion to hold an event in 2020.
UPDATE This rumor is upgraded to 'fact' with today's announcement.
09/05/18 With Furniture Row Racing announcing it is ceasing operations after '18, NASCAR driver Martin Truex Jr. "will move to Joe Gibbs Racing next season" along with one of the sponsors currently on his No. 78 Toyota team: Bass Pro Shops.
FRR in announcing its decision yesterday cited in part the "loss of sponsor 5-Hour Energy and the 'the rising costs of continuing a team alliance'" with JGR. Sources said that Truex' deal with JGR was "already in place" by the time of FRR’s formal announcement.
Tesla's China factory to make 3,000 cars each week
Elon Musk aims to make Bob Lutz swallow his cigar and choke on it while it's going down
US electric car maker Tesla is planning to produce 3,000 Model 3 sedans each week in its Shanghai plant once the Chinese factory commences work, according to a Sina news report, citing regulatory filings made to the United States Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) on Friday.
The California-based electric car maker aims to boost Model 3 production to about 10,000 units per week, meaning nearly one-third of the vehicles will be made in China in the near future.
NASCAR champion Jimmie Johnson and Formula 1 champion Fernando Alonso have teased a joint announcement for weeks on social media, using a deft touch of humor in their messages to each other.
The payoff took an additional step forward Friday in hilarious fashion with Johnson and Alonso talking on the phone in a message the seven-time Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series champion posted on Twitter. The clip ends with each driver asking the other at the same time: “Will you let me drive your car?
UPDATE This rumor is upgraded to 'fact' today. Vietnam will host a Formula One Grand Prix in Hanoi in 2020, officials have said, meaning the sport is set to head to the Southeast Asian country for the first time.
There has been discussion for several months that Hanoi could be added to the F1 calendar, although Vietnamese officials said today that a deal had been struck.
F1 officials have not officially confirmed the reports, although race director Charlie Whiting said after a visit to Vietnam in October that “[local organizers] are aiming for a 2020 grand prix, which shouldn’t be a problem based on previous experience.”
Will Mazda be forced to scale back on even more racing?
Mazda IMSA DPI
Mazda has already pulled out of the Road to Indy. Now comes more bad news that is sure to curtail other Mazda racing efforts.
Mazda slumped into the red in the most recent quarter, broadsided by falling global sales, suspended production in Japan, unfavorable foreign exchange rates and increased investment in its U.S. retail network reforms.
Bentley's First Electric Vehicle Might Use the Porsche Taycan Platform
In an effort to reduce its rather sizable carbon footprint, Bentley is said to be finally moving towards developing its own electric vehicle. A new report from Automotive Newssuggests the high-end luxury brand could build an EV on parent company Volkswagen's “Premium Platform Electric” architecture—the same one that will underpin the Porsche Taycan and potentially the Audi Sport E-tron GT concept. No word on whether it would look anything like Bentley's all-electric EXP 12 Speed 6e concept, but hopefully it will at least have a less-weird name.
Well funded Marcus Ericsson IndyCar bound with SPM
UPDATE This rumor is upgraded to 'fact' with today's announcement.
Marcus Ericsson is targeting a move into the Verizon IndyCar Series for the 2019 season after losing his Sauber Formula 1 seat, with the Swede confirming he is in talks with multiple teams over a race program.
Copyright 1999-2019 | AutoRacing1 is an independent internet online publication and is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or endorsed by IndyCar, NASCAR, FIA, or any series sponsor.
This material may not be published, broadcast, or redistributed without permission.