Sutil facing multi-million euro injury claim UPDATE #3
Force India Formula One Team is aware of the statements made by both its driver, Adrian Sutil, and Mr. Eric Lux of Genii Capital, pertaining to events following the Chinese Grand Prix. Although the team continues to monitor the situation, it remains fully committed to its driver line-up at this weekend’s Spanish Grand Prix. Force India
(GMM) Eric Lux's lawyer has confirmed the Genii Capital chief executive is taking legal action against Force India driver Adrian Sutil.
|Adrian Sutil - His wallet could get a lot lighter in the near future|
The 28-year-old German driver recently apologized after it emerged he had injured Lux - involved in the ownership and management of the Renault team - in the neck with a broken glass at a nightclub in Shanghai one month ago.
We reported on Monday that Lux had decided to take legal action that could involve a damages claim of EUR 10 million.
"Mr. Eric Lux has decided to file a criminal complaint against Mr. Adrian Sutil for physical assault and grievous bodily harm," Lux's Swiss lawyer Dr Marc Henzelin confirmed in a statement on Monday.
"As soon as the complaint is registered, the FIA and Force India will be notified," the statement added.
German newspaper Bild said Sutil's friend Lewis Hamilton was in the same VIP room at the M1NT nightclub at the time of the incident, and the statement said Lux "does not exclude commencing an action against any other persons involved in this matter".
Sutil's manager Manfred Zimmerman responded by saying he and the driver heard about Lux's legal action in the media.
"In recent weeks Adrian has made several attempts to make contact with Mr. Lux with no success," he told the German press.
"Should there be an indictment, we will fight it," he promised.
"Anyone who knows Adrian knows that he would not intentionally hurt anybody. When it comes to this injury, Adrian regrets it very much but it was an unfortunate accident with no intention," added Zimmermann.05/16/11 This rumor is upgraded to 'fact'. Following the report's that Force India driver Adrian Sutil was in an altercation with Genii Capital's Eric Lux at a Shanghai nightclub, Lux's lawyer, Dr. Marc Henzelin, has issued a statement today indicating that Lux will file a criminal complaint.
If the case does go forward, the FIA might penalize Sutil for bringing the sport into disrepute. In Force India's case the team might be able to fire him for damaging the image of the team - although it is not thought that either is likely to happen.
The brief statement issued today said the following:
"In the view of the recent events which occurred in Shanghai on 17 April, Mr. Eric Lux has decided to file a criminal complaint against Mister Adrian Sutil for physical assault and grievous bodily harm."
"As soon as the complaint is registered, the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) and the team Force India will be notified."
"Furthermore, please note that Mr. Eric Lux does not exclude commencing an action against any other persons involved in this matter." 05/16/11 (GMM) Adrian Sutil is facing a EUR 10 million damages claim by Genii chief executive Eric Lux, according to a media report.
It emerged last week that, following news the Force India driver assaulted Lux with a broken champagne glass in a Shanghai nightclub recently, Sutil could be headed for court.
Italiaracing said Lux needed 24 stitches in his neck and is seeking the multi-million euro compensation.
The French website sport24.com also said Lux will file a complaint about the German with the governing FIA, with his lawyers to announce the action perhaps as soon as Monday.
The report said Sutil's F1 super license could be at risk in the event of a civil conviction, although German newspaper Bild said neither the FIA nor Bernie Ecclestone are investigating the matter.