Danica to NASCAR fulltime in 2012? No! UPDATE This rumor is downgraded to 'speculation' today. IndyCar Series fan favorite Danica Patrick on Wednesday said there was "no truth" to an ESPN report that her and her management team were working on plans for a fulltime NASCAR schedule in 2012.
SI.com's Bruce Martin, in a previously-scheduled interview with Patrick on Wednesday in Indianapolis, asked her for her reaction to the report.
Here was Patrick's complete response:
"I'm watching TV and see it scroll across the bottom of the screen. I don't know where it came from but it's all speculation. Anybody can speculate that and write that. I don't know where it came from but there is no truth to it; it's just speculation," she said.
"It's no different than it was last month or even last year. There is nothing new in it."
Patrick also told Martin she was curious about the timing of such a story coming out a few days before the Indy 500. News Observer05/24/11 [As expected] Danica Patrick and her management team are working on a plan that would bring her full-time to NASCAR in 2012, sources confirmed Tuesday.
Patrick hopes to finalize a deal soon that would have her race full-time in the NASCAR Nationwide Series next season. She also would race a few Sprint Cup Series events in 2012 before going full-time to the Sprint Cup in 2013.
Patrick, arguably the IndyCar Series' best-known driver, qualified 26th for this year's Indy 500 and is one of four women in the 33-car field.
Rumors that Patrick would jump to NASCAR have persisted for years. The 29-year-old, who has driven in both IndyCar and the Nationwide series this year and last, was vague when asked about her plans last week.
"I suppose anything is possible," she said. "But I know for me, I haven't made any of those decisions yet." ESPN.com