IndyCar drivers will put their life on line at Texas "We’re disappointed with the position we’re in but right now we feel like we can’t really boycott,’’ said Dale Coyne Racing's Justin Wilson.
A few weeks ago there was a rumor that IndyCar drivers were going to boycott the June 9th race at Texas Motor Speedway unless the fencing was changed and pack racing was eliminated.
And that rumor was making the rounds of a couple racing websites again Thursday.
But two of the three veterans who represent the driver's committee say that’s not likely to happen.
"We’re disappointed with the position we’re in but right now we feel like we can’t really boycott,’’ said Justin Wilson [Editor's Note: Read that - IndyCar drivers will once again be sacrificial lambs. With no canopy over the cockpits, say your prayers], who begins his 10th season in American open-wheel racing next month.
"It’s just not the right thing to do. But I wouldn’t rule it out if no one is going to pay attention.’’
Tony Kanaan, who along with Ryan Briscoe and Alex Tagliani tested the new Dallara earlier this week at the high-banked, 1.5-mile oval outside Fort Worth, echoed Wilson’s comment.
"After Dan's tragedy, INDYCAR told us there would be no more pack racing,’’ said Kanaan, referring to the death of his former teammate and two-time Indy 500 winner Dan Wheldon in the season finale at the 1.5-mile Las Vegas oval.
"I can tell you after the test that there’s going to be pack racing with this aero package unless the downforce is reduced. But we’re hoping that INDYCAR can make some changes before we go back as a group and test again at Texas.
"Having said that, we don’t think boycotting is the right thing to do at this time.’’ More at Speed.com