>


Advertisement
Rumors
Rumor Rating Description
A rumor rated as 'speculation' is one that has no supporting information
A rumor rated as 'strong' is one where we received information from more than one source.
A rumor rated as 'fact' is one that has proven to be true
A rumor rated as 'false' is one that has proven to be false based on new information
These rumors are just that, RUMORS, and are not to be taken as 'fact' unless so noted.  Please visit our Hot News page for news.  If you have a rumor, or can supply more information about one listed here, e-mail us with as much supporting information as possible and we may post it. User Agreement and Disclaimer. Newer rumors supersede older ones of the same topic.  Go to our forums to discuss any rumor.
for your iPhone
for your iPad

2015 IndyCar Silly Season Page | 2015 F1 Silly Season Page

Go to our forums to discuss this news
DATE News (chronologically)
09/10/13
f1
Nasr 'knocking' on Toro Rosso door - rumor (Update)  UPDATE This rumor is downgraded to 'false' today. Dr Helmut Marko has denied reports Felipe Nasr is in the running to replace the Red Bull-bound Daniel Ricciardo at Toro Rosso next year.

It was reported recently that GP2 frontrunner Nasr, a 21-year-old Brazilian, was knocking on the door of the second Red Bull-owned team with money from Banco do Brasil and Sky Brasil.

But when asked directly if Nasr is in the running, Red Bull's Marko answered emphatically: "No.

"I know him," the Austrian told Brazil's O Estado de S.Paulo newspaper.  "Despite being in the championship for a while he has not won a race."

Marko's comments leave the Red Bull-sponsored youngster Antonio Felix da Costa back at the front of the grid to replace Ricciardo.

"Costa impressed me last year in his debut in the (Renault) world series," said Marko, "winning several races.  But this year he is not going so well.

"Let's see, we are not in a hurry, there are still many races left in competitions where there are drivers in our junior program."

He said Ricciardo's eventual successor will be "someone from the junior program and not just with the potential as a formula one driver, but to fight for victories and titles.

"That's quite a different thing," said Marko.

Next in line after da Costa is the teenage Spaniard Carlos Sainz Jr.

But Toro Rosso team boss Franz Tost on Monday said the 19-year-old is "talented, but young drivers need to be given time".

He told EFE news agency that the process to select Ricciardo's successor "has begun and of course Red Bull is involved in the process".

"We have plenty of time and no need to decide anything in the next two or three weeks," added Tost.

"We have until the start of next season.  We'll see what we do.

"We have some young drivers with extraordinary talent.  One of them is Carlos Sainz Jr but we also have (Daniil) Kvyat.  And Felix da Costa.

"There are many races left (in 2013).  Da Costa has six races.  Let's let the drivers finish their seasons.  Then we will see if we choose one of them or someone different."

Tost said the young age of Russian Kvyat, who races in the GP3 series, and Sainz is a factor playing against them.

"I think usually formula one drivers should be at least 20 or 21.  But there are many other factors," he explained.

Definitely not too young is Felipe Massa, the highly experienced Brazilian driver who could be looking for a 2014 seat after eight years with Ferrari.

But Marko told Brazil's Totalrace: "Toro Rosso is a team for young people, and if I know enough about Felipe, I know he is no longer young."

08/28/13
Felipe Nasr
(GMM)  A young Brazilian has leapt to the front of the queue to become the next Toro Rosso driver.

It was thought that, should Daniel Ricciardo move to Red Bull's premier team in 2014, the next energy drink-backed youngster in line was Antonio Felix da Costa.

But Michael Schmidt, the highly respected correspondent for Auto Motor und Sport magazine, says the 21-year-old Portuguese is actually suffering a "dip in form" in the Formula Renault 3.5 series.

"Voices from Brazil say that GP2 star Felipe Nasr is knocking on the door at Toro Rosso with money from Banco do Brasil and Sky Brasil," he said on Wednesday.

Earlier this month, amid the uncertainty about Felipe Massa's continuing career, Bernie Ecclestone vowed to help Nasr's burgeoning F1 hopes.

"I need a Brazilian driver," said the F1 chief executive.

If Massa does not have his Ferrari contract extended beyond 2013, he is being linked with a possible return to Sauber.

But O Estado de S.Paulo correspondent Livio Oricchio admitted this week: "If Ferrari does not extend his contract, I would be surprised if Felipe stays in formula one."

The highest-profile driver linked with Massa's seat for 2014 is Kimi Raikkonen, but team boss Stefano Domenicali on Wednesday measured his words carefully.

"Kimi is a very fast driver and everybody knows how I rate him," he told F1's official website.

"But if I make a comment now it will be taken as a direct answer.  As I said, there is no rush and we will make the right decision in the right moment."

Rumors Archives
2000 2001 2002 2003
2004200520062007
2008200920102011
2012201320142015

Search Rumors
Search Help

Banner 10000012