McLaren to re-sign Perez (Update) UPDATE
McLaren have yet to decide whether to retain Sergio Perez for next season, according to sporting director Sam Michael.
|Sergio Perez back with McLaren if Carlos Slim writes a big enough check|
Perez joined McLaren at the start of this season in what has proven to be a trying one for the Woking-based outfit.
Struggling from the start with a slow and ill-handling car, Jenson Button and Perez have netted just 93 points, putting McLaren fifth in the Constructors' Championship.
But despite the team's woes, it is widely believed that McLaren will retain the same line-up for next season.
However, according to Michael, that is not a guarantee.
"In terms of Checo specifically he's pushing very hard at the moment, he's staying focused, he's driving well, working well with the engineers and ultimately that's what we expect him to do," he said during a Vodafone McLaren Mercedes phone-in.
"In terms of contracts going forward we're not in a position to announce anything yet and as soon as we are then obviously all of our staff and all of you guys will know as soon as possible because there wouldn't be any reason to not do that.
"So we haven't come to that decision yet, and when we do then you guys will be the first to know along with our staff."10/27/13 (GMM) Sergio Perez on Sunday hinted the decision about his future has now been "made".
Until now, McLaren has only said the Mexican - who switched from Sauber at the end of last year - is likely to remain Jenson Button's teammate in 2014.
Perez, 23, has had a difficult year for the Woking based team, whose 2013 car has not been competitive.
"It's been a difficult year," sporting director Sam Michael told reporters in India on Sunday, "and a lot of that has been inflicted by ourselves because the car hasn't been quick enough."
Michael said McLaren is "really happy" with both Button and Perez, and repeated the statement that keeping the duo for 2014 is "most likely".
However, the rumor-mill might suggest that McLaren-backed junior Kevin Magnussen, or even Fernando Alonso, are still in the running to replace Perez.
But Perez said on Sunday that he has "not really" considered the prospect of losing his McLaren seat after just one season.
And when asked about McLaren's looming decision, he turned to Michael and smiled: "I think it's made, you can ask.
"I am confident I will stay here," Perez explained.
"I haven't seen the need to go after any other team. I expect to come back with this team."