March and Brabham to return to F1 UPDATE (GMM) Two iconic names are bidding to return to formula one's front line in 2010.
It has emerged that March, founded in 1969 by a group involving Max Mosley, and also Brabham, originally headed by triple world champion Sir Jack Brabham, have been named in official entries for budget-capped teams.
The internet publication ESPN Racing-Live has sighted a fax sent by the FIA, confirming that March's new owner Andrew Fitton lodged its entry paperwork by the deadline last Friday.
Moreover, a source close to March Racing Organization, which is not currently involved in any form of motor sport, confirmed the reports but said the outfit is "not getting too excited" due to the competition for the three vacant spots on the 2010 grid.
"We are waiting until we hear more from the FIA," the source added.
Meanwhile, the Swiss specialist magazine Motorsport Aktuell said Brabham Grand Prix Ltd, now owned by a German automotive supply company, also filed a 2010 official entry.
The famous team name, founded in 1960 and the winner of 35 grands prix and six world championships, and owned by Bernie Ecclestone in the 70s and 80s, is now controlled by Franz Hilmer, who bought the assets of the now defunct Super Aguri team last year.
It is also being reported by Corriere della Sera, and backed by FIA sources, that a secret group of Italians lodged a 2010 team entry.06/02/09 March Engineering have become the latest name to be associated with an entry to F1 in 2010. The organization is thought to be on the entry list received by the FIA last Friday.
The Brabham name is set to return to Formula One if an entry for next season is approved by motorsport's ruling body FIA, Germany's Motorsport aktuell weekly magazine reports in its latest edition.
Brabham Grand Prix Limited, owned by a German company supplying parts to the car industry, has submitted an entry for the 2010 world championships before last week's final deadline, the report said.