Red Bull KERS move unlikely UPDATE This rumor is upgraded to 'fact' today. Red Bull figures Christian Horner and Sebastian Vettel have denied rumors the team is considering introducing KERS within the next few races.
"So late in the season, that would be a big risk," team boss Horner is quoted as saying by Germany's Auto Motor und Sport. "Without KERS our car should be capable of winning at Spa."
German race driver Vettel agrees that, in the midst of a championship contest with Brawn, experimenting with KERS would not be a good idea.
"We would need two races to set up the car optimally with the ballast, and even then there would be no guarantee that we would profit from the system," he said.
Brawn GP also ruled out using the technology at any of the remaining six races of the season.
"Trying to put it in this late in the season would be insane," championship leader Jenson Button is quoted as saying.
Team boss Ross Brawn ruled out the scenario from a technical perspective. "It is not an option for us because our car would be too heavy.
"Even with the Mercedes system it is not possible for us to put (KERS) in without then having a weight handicap," he added, explaining that there may also be problems with cooling the system given the design parameters of the BGP001 car. 08/22/09 (GMM) David Coulthard on Saturday played down rumors Red Bull Racing might be considering imminently adding a KERS system to its RB5 car.
"My view is that they will not be introducing it this season," the former grand prix winner, who remains the Milton Keynes-based team's reserve driver and a consultant, said from Valencia.
A report in the German press, meanwhile, quoted both team boss Christian Horner and driver Sebastian Vettel as saying Red Bull will not be using KERS at the forthcoming Belgian grand prix.
Meanwhile, 38-year-old Coulthard was critical of the similarly-aged Luca Badoer on Saturday after the Italian qualified dead last and was off the pace at the wheel of injured Felipe Massa's Ferrari.
Williams' Nico Rosberg suggested the veteran Scot would have been a better choice for the Maranello based squad.
"I believe I could have done a better job than Luca Badoer," Coulthard wrote in his column for the BBC.
"If I had had a serious opportunity to do it then I'm sure Red Bull would have let me go -- but Ferrari have been looking internally so far," he added.