Piquet a race seat option at Campos or Force India UPDATE #6 (GMM) A Spanish motor racing website has admitted its exclusive story about Nelson Piquet signing for the new Campos team was a hoax.
Motor21.com said earlier this week that the 24-year-old 'crashgate' conspirator had penned a three year deal, with his triple world champion father and namesake buying a 15 per cent stake in the Spanish outfit.
The news was published on December 28, the Spanish holiday known as 'Day of the Innocents', which is similar to April Fools' Day.
Motor21.com confirmed that the Piquet story was indeed a "celebration" of the holiday.12/29/09 (GMM) A Spanish motor racing website is reporting that Nelson Piquet will complete the driver lineup of the new Campos team in 2010.
Motor21.com said on Monday that the 24-year-old Brazilian's contract is for three years, ensuring a lineup of famous surnames, after his countryman Bruno Senna also signed for 2010 with the Spanish outfit.
|Wherever he ends up, Nelson Piquet Jr. will remain a back-marker in 2010|
The publication said Piquet's seat follows the 15 per cent purchase of the Campos-Meta team by his namesake and father, the triple world champion of the 80s.
Motor21 also said several Brazilian sponsors are to accompany Piquet to Campos, who will sign an as-set unnamed Spanish test driver.
However, the website's news was not backed by any other well-known publications or sources.
December 28 is the Spanish holiday known as 'Day of the Innocents', which is similar to April Fools' Day. 12/22/09 (GMM) Nelson Piquet has revealed that his plans for the 2010 season will be known "very soon".
The 24-year-old Brazilian was ousted by Renault this year before the 'crashgate' scandal, and has since tested twice for a NASCAR Truck series team.
But he has also been linked with the new Campos team, whose second cockpit alongside Bruno Senna for 2010 is still available.
"About next year ... there are some very good things going on, thank God," Piquet wrote on his Twitter feed. "I will decide about it soon. Very soon."11/29/09 Nelson Piquet Jr. feels that gaining a race seat at Spanish Campos Meta team would be a perfect situation for both himself and the new-for-2010 entrant. With Bruno Senna - nephew of late 3-time World Champion Ayrton - already signed at the Madrid squad, fellow Brazilian Piquet sees more pros than cons for him to race alongside.
Following the September scandal which rocked the sporting world - that of the Singapore 2008 'Crashgate' scandal - critics argue that Piquet, also a son of a triple World Champion, may never be seen again in Formula 1 although the ex Renault driver is confident that an all-Brazilian, all-famous-name line-up would suit the team.
"I'm (a perfect fit) for that," Piquet explained whilst at Felipe Massa's Challenge of the Stars karting event at the weekend. "It would be wonderful for both Brazil and for attracting sponsors; now it will depend on the marketing strategy of the team."
However, with the prospect remaining that rookie drivers at new teams could in fact be paying for their drives next year, Piquet is keen not to be associated with such activities. "They were very clear," he continued of Campos. "We are going through the financial problems and they will keep us informed.
"They are actually looking for a Spanish driver and I think the option is probably still a Spaniard, as I have no sponsorship to take with me, but I'm not ruling it out; I'm still trying, showing interest and presenting the possibility of two Brazilian drivers who have strong brands to attract companies (sponsors) here in Brazil." 11/16/09 (GMM) Nelson Piquet has named Force India as a possible employer for the future.
The 23-year-old Brazilian was sacked by Renault's Flavio Briatore earlier this year and then embroiled in the crash-gate scandal, but emerged without a ban due to his whistleblower deal with the FIA.
It has been reported that his famous father, the triple world champion of the same name, is willing to invest money to secure Piquet Jr a seat in 2010.
But Piquet has also been looking around in America; recently testing a NASCAR Truck and attending last weekend's Phoenix event.
"I am close to Force India at the moment, but to me NASCAR is very interesting so I don't know yet what is going to happen," he is quoted as saying by Brazil's globo.com.
"I don't want to take a decision without knowing how things work here in the United States, so I came to be with the drivers and team owners," Piquet explained.
Piquet, who has also been linked with the new Campos and Manor/Virgin teams, admitted that driving a NASCAR doesn't match up to formula one, but would not rule out racing in the tin-top series.
"It is clear that the F1 cars are very much better technologically, the best in the world, but I find that if it is enjoyable, it doesn't matter if I am racing in karts.
"The important thing is to compete," Piquet added.
10/31/09 (GMM) Mere hours after Campos confirmed one of its drivers for 2010, Bernie Ecclestone has hinted at the identity of Bruno Senna's teammate.
The Spanish team is yet to announce the second driver, amid reports of flagging negotiations with its preferred appointment, Pedro de la Rosa.
Ecclestone, the F1 chief executive, said in the paddock of the new Yas Marina Circuit on Saturday that he would like to see the sacked Nelson Piquet get another chance in the wake of the crash-gate affair.
Like 26-year-old Senna's famous uncle Ayrton, Piquet's father also won three drivers' world championships.
"It'd be good wouldn't it, another good name," Ecclestone is quoted as saying by the Daily Telegraph. "That's what's being talked about actually."
The situation would, however, mean that Campos lines up for its first season with two Brazilians.
But team chief executive Rodriguez de Castro said the objective is not actually to be the first Spanish F1 team "but rather the first Iberian-American team".10/18/09 (GMM) Adrian Campos, boss of his new eponymous Spanish formula one team, has admitted that crash-gate conspirator Nelson Piquet Jr is an option for a race seat in 2010.
While Renault's Flavio Briatore and Pat Symonds were banned from motor racing over the affair, 23-year-old Piquet - who had already been sacked by the French team - escaped further sanctions due to whistleblower immunity granted by the FIA.
Piquet's famous father and namesake, at Interlagos this weekend, admitted the fact his son deliberately crashed in Singapore last year will make it difficult to find new employment in F1.
But Campos told the EFE news agency: "I spoke with Nelsinho Piquet three weeks ago and he is a possibility (for 2010)."
The former Minardi driver also said McLaren tester Pedro de la Rosa is on his wish list, but that he is finding it difficult to reach agreement with his countryman.
"It is our intention to be clear on the direction of our drivers (line-up) by the middle of November," Campos added, also revealing contact with Bruno Senna, Pastor Maldonado, Bertrand Baguette and Ernesto Viso.