Briatore looks to sue Piquet, the FIA, and departed drivers UPDATE #2 The FIA's World Council banned former Renault team principal Briatore and the team's former head of engineering Pat Symonds in September after racing driver Nelson Piquet Jr claimed the two men asked him to crash during the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix to aid his team-mate, Fernando Alonso.
A Paris court overturned that ban earlier this month, awarding Briatore €15,000 in damages. However, the ban prevented teams and drivers from working with Briatore and the Italian maintains this led to a significant loss of income. Briatore told The Telegraph that he would sue the FIA for damages to his driver management business. We lost Alonso, we lost [Heikki] Kovalainen, we lost several drivers," he said. "We will sue the FIA for the money we lost."
01/06/10 (GMM) Having won his bid to overturn his motor racing ban, Flavio Briatore says it is likely he will now pursue legal action against Nelson Piquet.
The 59-year-old Italian has never confessed his involvement in the so-called crashgate scandal, where Piquet was ordered to crash on purpose during the 2008 Singapore grand prix.
Paris' Tribunal de Grande Instance on Tuesday ruled that there were "irregularities" in the FIA's decision to expel Briatore, the former Renault team boss, from motor racing.
Asked on Wednesday if he will now sue Piquet, he told La Gazzetta dello Sport: "Very probably. I won't forget the pain I've suffered in a day."
After the ruling was announced on Tuesday, the FIA said Briatore and Pat Symonds's bans would remain in force until all its appeal options were exhausted.
But Briatore vowed to now continue to manage F1 drivers "like always", and warned he may sue Heikki Kovalainen and Lucas di Grassi, who recently ended their ties with the Italian.
"Apart from Heikki Kovalainen and Lucas Di Grassi, my relationship with the other drivers has never changed," said Briatore, who also manages the likes of Mark Webber and Fernando Alonso.
"Now we will look at the situation with lawyers to see if we can take legal action against those who have broken contracts with us," he added.01/06/10 After winning his appeal in court yesterday against the FIA's ban on him in F1, Flavio Briatore, when asked by Italian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport if he was now planning to take legal action against the Piquets, Briatore replied: "That's very likely. The bad that has been done to me won't be forgotten in one day."
"It was also a case of vengeance from Mosley, who has always managed the FIA and the World Council as if it was private property," he said.
"He had reassured me, telling me they understood I didn't have anything to do with that story. Then came that verdict. It was an ignoble thing after 18 years of F1.
"First Mosley tried to make me lose titles, first with Schumi then with Alonso, and then to destroy me with this story."