Rome to be second Italian race in 2012, 2013 (Maybe) UPDATE #3 Rome's chances of hosting an F1 grand prix have been dealt a blow due to underwhelming support from the city's residents. Rome's mayor Gianni Alemanno is keen to see his city added to the list of Formula One venues with 2012 or 2013 being touted as possible dates for the inaugural race.
Alemanno has even gone as far as to sign a letter of intent with F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone. However, the people of Rome are not as keen for a grand prix as Alemanno is.
"A majority, albeit not an overwhelming one, of EUR and Rome residents are in favor of the race," he said.
He added that a decision on whether to go ahead with plans would be made before the end of the year.09/10/10 This rumor is upgraded to 'fact' with today's announcement.
09/01/10 (GMM) Rome is still on track to host a round of the world championship in 2012 or 2013, the Italian capital's mayor revealed on Wednesday.
A possible street race in the famous city has been on the cards for some time, but it had been thought that political obstacles had thwarted the plans.
But mayor Gianni Alemanno told a morning television program on Rai 1 television on Wednesday: "From 2012 or no later than 2013, a grand prix will take place in Rome.
"This will be the second race for Italy, because the race at Monza is guaranteed," he added.
It is believed the city's EUR district has been selected by Hermann Tilke as the site for the race, where the roads are wider than in the inner city.
Alemanno continued: "There are problems because we have to reach full agreement with the inhabitants of EUR. We have an agreement at the international level.
"There are no certainties, but our promise is very solid," he added.01/13/10 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone is not considering accommodating two Italian races on future F1 calendars, according to the Finnish publication Turun Sanomat.
The newspaper's correspondent Heikki Kulta reported from Madonna di Campiglio this week that Rome's candidature for a street race in 2012 endangers the historic Italian grand prix venue Monza.
Turun Sanomat said Monza cannot afford to renew its current deal with F1.
Shortly before Christmas, the sport's chief executive Ecclestone confirmed an agreement for a seven-year race deal with Rome, hinting to the Times that the layout would be close to the Vatican.
"Every time there is an overtaking maneuver, we're going to put the black smoke up," he joked.