Mercedes makes offer to Kubica in Valencia UPDATE #2 This rumor is downgraded to 'false' today based on this report.
06/26/10 (GMM) Mercedes, as well as "well-placed sources in Germany", have scoffed at reports Michael Schumacher might be dumped and replaced in 2011 by Robert Kubica.
But overnight, a second specialist Italian website reported that Mercedes chiefs have now met with Kubica, who currently drives for Renault. A team spokesman told the Guardian that "there is absolutely no truth" in the reports.
|Schumacher laughs when he hears the rumors|
Also referring to the rumor, the Daily Mail newspaper said Mercedes "laughed if off", while "well-placed sources in Germany ruled it out entirely".
Finland's Turun Sanomat also said Mercedes denied the reports, while Nico Rosberg defended his under-fire and famous teammate.
"He's had some very strong races this year. Sometimes I've had the upper hand, but in general I see him as strong," he said.
Earlier in Valencia, Schumacher put the media fuss about his lackluster return to formula one so far this year down to "show business".
"To moan about me creates some attention, which maybe is what they want. I'd rather not hear about it, or have to answer your question, but that's what it comes down to for me," said the German.
06/25/10 (GMM) According to an Italian website, Mercedes wants to secure the services of Polish driver Robert Kubica.
Omnicorse.it claims that on Friday in the Valencia paddock, a member of the German team made an offer to accommodate Kubica, 25, in 2011.
Kubica currently drives for Renault, and it had been expected he would remain with the team after Ferrari re-signed Felipe Massa for next year.
But Omnicorse said it is possible Kubica will replace Michael Schumacher at Mercedes, even though the seven time world champion has a three year contract. zzzz
According to the rumor, Kubica is being offered a generous retainer for three years, including the option of a further two-year deal.
The report follows hot on the heels of stinging criticism of Schumacher's lackluster return to F1 this year after a three-year retirement.
"From inside the team we see things in a totally different perspective," chief executive Nick Fry said in response to the criticism.
"We're very comfortable with Michael's performance and I can't see any reason why he won't come good."