Mercedes team to throw in towel for 2010 UPDATE (GMM) Mercedes GP has played down reports it has cancelled further development of its 2010 formula one car due to budget considerations. The major German daily Bild reportedly said the Brackley based team's focus has switched to the W01's successor because this year's budget is depleted.
A team spokesman told Sport1: "Our current car is developed, and the development of the 2011 car is well underway."
|Mercedes are so far behind they should forget about 2010|
It is also reported in Germany that Mercedes GP will soon have to replace its reserve driver Nick Heidfeld, because the 33-year-old is expected to commence his new role as Pirelli's permanent tire tester within the month of August. 08/03/10 The Mercedes GP F1 team are set to stop work on their current car and switch their focus to the 2011 model.
The team has had a disappointing season, collecting only 132 points thus far - way off the pace of the front runners and only just ahead of Renault.
In light of the poor performance the team will only introduce one more upgrade package this season and focus will switch to next year's car as early as after the summer break.
"I think there is one more step we want to do before the end of the year to take full advantage of the low exhaust position, that is something we will target for Singapore," explained team boss Ross Brawn.
"That was coming through already but clearly after the break our priority will be the new car."
Brawn admits that the team's performance this year has been a disappointment and that there was no point flogging a dead horse.
"There were another set of regulations this year with no refueling, and one or two other things," Brawn said of reasons for the team's poor showing.
"We didn't perhaps hit the sweet spot with the current car, so I don't think we will throw much more resource at it.
"We understand what we need to do next year."