Alonso could reunite with McLaren – report

UPDATE (GMM) McLaren on Wednesday played down reports that the Woking based team and Fernando Alonso could reunite in 2008.

The Spanish newspaper Diario AS claimed that McLaren had reopened the lines of communication with the 26-year-old's management after Spanish team sponsors reacted badly to news of their split.

It was said Ron Dennis touted a new one year contract, on the same terms as Alonso's 2007 tenure.

'AS' claims the response from Alonso's camp was composed, followed by the presentation to McLaren of a list of conditions, such as the freedom to determine independent race strategies.

Reacting to the story, the Mercedes-powered team said: "McLaren is unaware of any current discussions with Fernando or his management."

12/05/07 (GMM) Speculation surrounding Fernando Alonso's uncertain future has taken yet another sharp turn.

The Spanish newspaper Diario AS claims that, despite their recent unhappy split, McLaren has joined the race to accommodate the 26-year-old Spaniard in 2008.

Honda has seemingly dropped out of the running, but Renault, Red Bull and Toyota are thought to have presented Alonso with standing offers for next season and beyond — with none willing to accept his demands for a single-season deal.

'AS' reports that McLaren has reopened the lines of communication with Alonso's management after Spanish team sponsors reacted badly to news of the split after just one year of collaboration.

Almost unbelievably, McLaren is now considered a real contender to welcome Alonso back to the Mercedes-powered team for 2008, due to Ron Dennis' similar desire for a merely one year contract.

'AS' claims the response from Alonso's camp so far has been composed, followed by the presentation to McLaren of a list of conditions, such as the freedom to determine independent race strategies.

But with Ron Dennis still in charge of the team, the newspaper speculates that a reunion is "unlikely".

Leave a Reply