|Kevin Magnussen worried|
UPDATE Danish driver Kevin Magnussen spoke out on Thursday against Formula One's plans to introduce a transparent cockpit 'shield', warning that it could make racing more dangerous in wet conditions.
The governing International Automobile Federation (FIA) announced this week that it was focusing on the shield (screen) concept rather than a previously tested 'halo' cockpit protection system.
It said that track tests would be carried out during the season in preparation for implementation in 2018.
"We've seen some pictures. I'm not for it," Haas F1 driver Magnussen told reporters at the Sochi circuit ahead of Sunday's Russian Grand Prix.
"I don't think we need something like that. I think it's going to be difficult, especially in the wet, with the screen. Even without a screen, in the wet it's difficult to see anything.
"I'm sure with that as well, it's going to be impossible and more dangerous in wet conditions," added the former Renault and McLaren driver, who said he would prefer to continue without either system.
The 'halo' device, which is fixed at three points including a central pillar in front of the driver that supports a protective loop above his head, was extensively tested last season with a mixed response.
Cockpit protection is seen as a key area where improvements can be made in safety following fatalities in other series where drivers were hit by wheels and flying debris.
While the FIA said in January that the safety benefit had been established, some leading F1 figures were wary about changing the look of the cars so dramatically.
This year's crop of cars have already been criticized by some for their use of shark-like fins and wings for aerodynamic effect. Reuters
|FIA ditches ugly halo|
04/25/17 A constructive meeting of the F1 Strategy Group and F1 Commission took place today (25 April) in Paris, with all members in attendance including FIA President Jean Todt and, for the first time, Chase Carey, CEO of Formula One Group.
Below is a summary of what was discussed:
Sporting and technical changes
There have been some corrections and additions to the technical and sporting regulations for 2018, which will now be passed to the World Motor Sport Council for approval:
- A number of more integrated solutions for additional frontal protection have been studied, and the decision has been taken to give priority to the transparent ‘shield’ family of systems, similar to what IndyCar was pursuing. The FIA aims to carry out track tests of this system during this season in preparation for implementation in 2018
- Changes in the regulation boxes around the engine cover have been made so that designs incorporating the ‘t-wing’ and ‘shark fin’ will be strictly limited
- Measures will be taken to ensure that oil will not be used as fuel. In addition, only one specification of oil may be used for any given power unit during an event
- Pirelli will be allowed to develop 2018 wet weather tyre compounds using previous specifications of cars and wheel dimensions
- In the event of a red flag period during a race, the race will be resumed from a standing start
Driver names and numbers
Information was given to the teams that, from Barcelona (12-14 May 2017) onwards, the sporting regulations will be strictly enforced to ensure that visibility of drivers’ names and numbers on the cars will be clearer.
Representatives from the non-member teams will now be invited to meetings of the F1 Strategy Group to have access to the discussions, demonstrating the effective commitment of both the FIA and the Commercial Rights Holder to improve transparency in the sport.