Hockenheimring Steps Up Security For This Weekend’s German F1 Grand Prix

Security "will be stepped up for this weekend's German Grand Prix at Hockenheim in the wake of the attacks in the country over the past week," according to Daniel Johnson of the London TELEGRAPH.
Following a "spate of incidents which have shocked Germany in recent days, more police and security are planned for the race on Sunday, which takes place an hour from Frankfurt in the west of the country." There is "no specific intelligence which indicates that Formula One will be a target this weekend," but organizers "have sought to assuage any fears and are putting tighter restrictions in place."
Hockenheim said that it was prepared to take "all necessary and appropriate actions" to ensure the safe running of the weekend. CAM Security, which looks after the paddock at most races, is "taking nearly double the number of staff and will also be manning car parks and queuing areas."
Officials from Formula One Management "have been in close contact with organizers and are well prepared, having increased security for the British Grand Prix as well earlier this month." F1 CEO Bernie Ecclestone confirmed that security "will be stepped up in response to the threats of recent months."
Ecclestone: "They are everywhere by the look of it. Everybody is a bit concerned. I can't see what they can do but they're doing whatever they can. We're in contact with them so we know what they're doing. Everybody is on alert, especially Germany. The race is not targeted at all. We have no concerns" TELEGRAPH.

UNCERTAIN FUTURE
: The SID reported the future of the German Grand Prix "remains uncertain." The Hockenheimring, which "will host this year's race, has a contract through '18."
Next year's race "was supposed to take place at the Nurburgring, but the historic racetrack was unable to stage last year's race due to financial issues."
Hockenheim is not expected to replace the Nurburgring and stage next year's grand prix. Hockenheimring Managing Dir Georg Seiler: "We are not thinking about it. We have a contract for 2016 and 2018, in between it's not our turn." Commenting on Hockenheim's future past '18, Seiler said, "Of course we want Formula 1. It's an image aspect for the racetrack.
But it also has to work economically." Nurburgring Managing Dir Mirco Markfort: "We would like to host a German Grand Prix again. But the economic framework has to be provided. We don't want and can't afford Formula 1 for any price" SID.
In a separate piece, the SID reported the Hockenheimring "still hopes to achieve its goal of selling 60,000 tickets for Sunday's race." Organizers have sold 52,000 so far, which equals the total of '14.
Seiler: "We see that base of motorsports fans is getting older. Therefore it is about attracting young fans, which is a challenge. We tackled the situation by providing family tickets, which have proved successful" SID.

Leave a Reply