Mercedes won’t be able to show-off in front of German fans

Toto Wolff and Mercedes won't be showing off to German fans
Toto Wolff and Mercedes won't be showing off to German fans

The Mercedes F1 team will not be able to show-off their engineering superiority this year because there will not be a German GP.

A Nurburgring official said that the circuit "will not host" the German F1 Grand Prix this year, after Hockenheim also ruled out the possibility, according to Karolos Grohmann of REUTERS.

The Nurburgring "was scheduled to host the July 19 race under an alternation agreement with Hockenheim, which hosted last year's grand prix and has an agreement for 2016."

A Nürburgring spokesperson said the circuit could not do so "for time, financial and organizational reasons."

The absence of Germany, home of reigning world champions Mercedes, for the first time since '60 "leaves the calendar with 19 races."

Both German circuits "have financial problems, with Hockenheim shouldering heavy losses due to poor attendances in recent years (due to the boring Mercedes 1-2 parade every race and the horrible sounding cars – the screaming thrill is gone)."

Force India's German driver Nico Hulkenberg tweeted, "Very sad to hear no more home GP this year." REUTERS

Leave a Reply