It was also no real surprise when we recently learned that Earnhardt has once again topped the popularity list among die cast race car collectors according to a recent announcement made by Lionel Racing, the official die cast of NASCAR. It seems that even at 1:24 scale, Junior is still number one.
Earnhardt occupied not just the first, but the top three spots on the best-sellers list. His #88 National Guard Chevrolet was the best-selling 1:24 scale die-cast car of the year, while his Diet Mountain Dew and National Guard/Man of Steel cars followed in second and third positions, respectively.
"Every year it holds true, Dale Earnhardt Jr. is a fan favorite among collectors and those who spend their hard-earned discretionary income on NASCAR merchandise", said Howard Hitchcock, Vice President and General Manager of Lionel Racing. "His National Guard/ Man of Steel die-cast was our best-selling special paint scheme of the year, and his primary paint schemes outpaced the field by a wide margin."
The Top 10 Die-Cast Cars of 2013 are listed below. For images and a slideshow detailing the story behind each car and a list of best-selling drivers, please visit www.lionelnascar.com/top10.
1. Dale Earnhardt Jr. #88 National Guard Chevy
2. Dale Earnhardt Jr. #88 Diet Mountain Dew Chevy
3. Dale Earnhardt Jr. #88 National Guard/Man of Steel Chevy
4. Tony Stewart #14 Bass Pro Shops Chevy
5. Jeff Gordon #24 AARP/Drive to End Hunger Chevy
6. Danica Patrick #10 GoDaddy Chevy
7. Brad Keselowski #2 Miller Lite Ford
8. Jeff Gordon #24 Cromax Pro Chevy
9. Clint Bowyer #15 PEAK/Duck Dynasty Toyota
10. Dale Earnhardt #3 1989 Wilkesboro Win Chevy