The test is being held in advance of the series’ only visit to Northern California for the GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma, Aug. 23-25. This marks the ninth consecutive year of IndyCar racing in the Sonoma Valley, and the track has seen seven different winners over the past eight years.
Race fans will be admitted free to the test session, which will span from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
They will be allowed to watch the test session from the main grandstand, stroll through the paddock and attend the noon press conference with some of the drivers (space permitting).
The Raceway Cafe will also be open for lunch. This will mark the only test open to the public before race weekend.
The teams and drivers scheduled to attend the test include three 2013 race winners — defending series champion Ryan Hunter-Reay (Andretti Autosport), James Hinchcliffe (Andretti Autosport) and Takuma Sato (A.J. Foyt Racing).
In addition, five-time American Le Mans Series champion Lucas Luhr has been confirmed to race in Sonoma in the No. 97 Honda-powered IndyCar, and will take part in the test session.
The complete list of team/drivers attending is:
- A.J. Foyt Racing (Takuma Sato)
- Andretti Autosport (Marco Andretti, James Hinchcliffe, Ryan Hunter-Reay, E.J. Viso)
- Dale Coyne Racing (Justin Wilson)
- Dragon Racing (Sebastien Bourdais and Sebastian Saavedra)
- Ed Carpenter Racing (Ed Carpenter)
- Panther Racing (driver TBA)
- Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing (James Jakes and Graham Rahal)
- Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing (Josef Newgarden and Lucas Luhr)
Sonoma Raceway will feature a number of ticket packages at the test session, highlighted by the Brasil IT+ Total Access Package, which includes a race-day Q&A session with Rahal, a reserved ticket to the GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma on Sunday, Aug. 25, and a garage/pit/pre-race pass — all for $99.
Kids 12-and-under are admitted free to the GoPro Indy Grand Prix of Sonoma and parking is free.