After missing out on three and half days of testing last week in Barcelona, due to a faulty suspension, Lotus bounced back in the best way possible when Romain Grosjean topped the timing screens at the end of the first day of the last week of Formula 1 2012 preseason testing.
Jenson Button ended the day second fastest
A week earlier the E20 was being shipped back to Enstone to sort out a problem with the mounting of the upper front wishbone rear arm thus with half an hour to go in the day’s session at Circuit de Catalunya, Grosjean bolted on a set of Pirelli soft tires and proceeded to set the fastest lap of the day of 1 minute 23.252 seconds.
With 73 laps on their chart the Lotus team will no doubt be relieved that their woes appear to be over.
Pos Driver Car Time Laps
1. Romain Grosjean Lotus 1:23.252 73
2. Jenson Button McLaren 1:23.510 64
3. Sergio Perez Sauber 1:23.820 118
4. Mark Webber Red Bull 1:23.830 102
5. Nico Rosberg Mercedes AMG Petronas 1:23.992 128
6. Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso 1:24.216 113
7. Paul Di Resta Force India 1:24.305 98
8. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1:24.318 105
9. Vitaly Petrov Caterham 1:24.876 123
10. Pastor Maldonado Williams 1:25.587 58