It is said that the Brazilian, seriously injured when flying debris struck the front of his helmet during Hungarian GP qualifying last Saturday, has been woken from his induced coma and will not be put to sleep again.
Another scan on Monday afternoon showed that the 28-year-old's brain swelling had subsided, moving the medical team to wake him up and withdraw the artificial breathing.
Massa is said to now be conscious and has spoken his first words since the crash. A full recovery is now expected, with the biggest concern now being the condition of his damaged left eye.
There were reports on Monday that Massa's optic nerve behind his left eye had been damaged to an unspecified degree.
It is however believed that his personal doctor Dino Altmann will not now push for the transfer from Hungary to Paris, given Monday afternoon's positive news indicates a far shorter hospitalization.