Honda looks to extend Button’s contract

(GMM) Honda intends to secure the services of Jenson Button into the future, the Japanese team's CEO Nick Fry suggested in Melbourne on Sunday.

Despite Button warning late last year that he needs to be "ruthless" about his career following a dire 2007, Fry told the British broadcaster ITV that the two sides are working towards a new deal for 2009 and beyond.

"He's certainly someone we want on our side," he said, amid speculation of a new three year contract for Button, who is 28.

Fry would not be drawn on the precise timescale for the actual inking of signatures, but he hinted that Button's management and Honda chiefs will likely sit down "later this year".

He explained: "There's no big hurry — we've got a great relationship with each other and we can take our time."

Leave a Reply