Richmond to replace Pocono IndyCar race (Update)
|Rossi takes dominating win in 2018 at Pocono. |
UPDATE During a visit to Allentown with NASCAR driver Ryan Blaney on Wednesday, Nick Igdalsky, Pocono Raceway’s chief executive officer, confirmed with the Allentown Morning Call that negotiations continue with IndyCar about the open-wheel racing series’ future at the Long Pond, PA speedway.
No contract is in place beyond the Aug. 18 ABC Supply 500 and IndyCar may be considering removing Pocono from its schedule in the aftermath of the 2015 accident that took the life of Justin Wilson and last year’s crash that caused life-altering injuries, including one to the spinal cord, that has likely ended Robert Wickens’ career.
Earlier this month, Hulman & Co. CEO Mark Miles told the Indianapolis Star that negotiations with Pocono continue but no extension has been announced.
"Right now, we’re each evaluating the prospects for growth and what it would look like,” Miles told the Indianapolis Star.
With Pocono down to one NASCAR weekend in 2020, a doubleheader, you would think that Pocono and IndyCar could make something happen since the track is losing one of its two big NASCAR event weekends.
However, there are zero support series races during the Pocono weekend, and with so little on-track racing the fans are bored and head for the exits, never to return.
What about Indy Lights? What about Robby Gordon's Stadium Super Trucks? What about a NASCAR Truck Series Race? Anything to fill the dead air time. Short of doing that IndyCar may as well stay home, thereby adding Pocono to the long history that makes up the IndyCar oval graveyard.
With the race on NBCSN with its low TV Ratings, why would ABC Supply renew their sponsorship?
As for Richmond replacing Pocono, how many failed oval track events has IndyCar tried to regurgitate but then failed a 2nd time?
|Rossi dominated Pocono in 2018. 2019 is probably the last IndyCar race at Pocono|
06/06/19 Hulman & Co. CEO Mark Miles told IndyStar that while IndyCar continues to negotiate with Pocono Raceway about a possible extension, no agreement has been struck.
He confirmed that IndyCar’s contract with Pocono expires after the series visits the famed "Tricky Triangle" in August.
Given how small the crowds are at Pocono, given there are no concerts and so much dead track time to keep the fans entertained so they don't come, given the danger (Justin Wilson death followed by Robert Wickens broken back) it's clear the Pocono's future on the IndyCar schedule is in serious doubt.
Even though most of the ovals can't draw a crowd for IndyCar races, that doesn't stop IndyCar from regurgitating the same failed races thru the schedule.
Now there is talk of a possible Richmond race for 2020, another oval that failed in the past. Richmond has two NASCAR Cup races a year. No way they are going to properly promote an IndyCar race.
Miles confirmed that the series has "talked with Richmond Raceway executives." Miles said the speedway is “being evaluated in the context of the discussions of looking at all of our opportunities.” He added that IndyCar is "not interested in expanding its schedule of races" within the continental U.S.
The late great Albert Einstein once said, "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."