BEIJING, CHINA – Nicolas Prost (e.dams-Renault) clinched pole position for the inaugural Formula E Evergrande Spring Beijing ePrix ahead of both Audi Sport ABT drivers.
The Frenchman posted a 1.42.200s, a tenth of a second clear of Lucas di Grassi and a further two tenths quicker than Daniel Abt.
Prost managed to set a representative timed lap before locking up into Turn 14 forcing him to park in front of the tire barrier. He returned to the pitlane and avoided any series damage to the car. The e.dams-Renault driver picked up three bonus points for claiming pole position.
Mahindra Racing’s Karun Chandhok will line-up on the grid in fourth alongside Franck Montagny for Andretti.
German driver Nick Heidfeld clocked a 1.42.579 to start sixth ahead of Virgin Racing’s Jaime Alguersuari.
Newly-announced Charles Pic put in an impressive performance in eighth with Sebastien Buemi and Nelson Piquet Jr rounding out the top-10.
FIA Formula E Championship – Beijing ePrix – Qualifying
1. Nicolas Prost, e.dams-Renault, 1:42.200s
2. Lucas di Grassi, Audi Sport ABT, 1:42.306s
3. Daniel Abt, Audi Sport ABT, 1:42.454s
4. Karun Chandhok, Mahindra Racing, 1:42.461s
5. Franck Montagny, Andretti, 1:42.530s
6. Nick Heidfeld, Venturi, 1:42.579s
7. Jaime Alguersuari, Virgin Racing, 1:42.683s
8. Charles Pic, Andretti, 1:42. 726s
9. Sebastien Buemi, e.dams-Renault, 1:42.746s
10. Nelson Piquet Jr, China Racing, 1:42.785s
11. Oriol Servia, Dragon Racing, 1:42.847s
12. Sam Bird, Virgin Racing, 1:42.918s
13. Jerome d’Ambrosio, Dragon Racing, 1:44.056s
14. Takuma Sato, Amlin Aguri, 1:44.129s
15. Ho-Pin Tung, China Racing, 1:45.282s
16. Katherine Legge, Amlin Aguri, 1:45.369s
17. Michela Cerruti, Trulli, 1:46.170s
– Jarno Trulli, Trulli, no time set
– Bruno Senna, Mahindra Racing, no time set
– Stephane Sarrazin, Venturi, no time set