Supercars race Adelaide 500 is "cashed up" with a new major sponsor, broadband provider Superloop, but there are "still some question marks over whether the event will stay in the same spot on the calendar," according to Fjeldstad & Purcell of THE ADVERTISER.
Superloop purchased the rights for Adelaide's premier racing event for three years starting with next year's edition from Feb. 28-March 3.
The multi-million dollar deal was announced by South Australia Tourism Minister David Ridgway. He said, "Over 20 years, the Adelaide 500 has become Australia's largest domestic ticketed motorsport event, injecting millions of dollars into the state's economy."
The issue of "when the race will be held remains under a cloud."
Race GM Alistair MacDonald said that no formal approach was made to change the event's date "but there had been moves to run the race earlier in the year and allow for a winter break in the schedule."
A summer series was "mooted" from '20. MacDonald said that there was a contract in place for Adelaide to have the first race of the year until '21. THE ADVERTISER,