|Old IndyCar with new body pieces called new car|
Racing legends Mario Andretti and Roger Penske, along with 2017 Verizon IndyCar Series champion Josef Newgarden, will headline the public unveiling of INDYCAR’s new race car for the upcoming season. Media are invited to attend at INDYCAR’s NAIAS exhibit in Detroit at 9:05 a.m., Tuesday, Jan. 16.
Newgarden will present the universal aero kit to be used by all competitors from his unique perspective as a driver, outlining the new aerodynamic and safety features that will create even more thrilling racing action in 2018.
Penske, the Detroit-based automotive icon who owns the team that Newgarden drives for, will speak to the business side of the sport from the view of a racing team owner and driving force of the annual Chevrolet Detroit Grand Prix presented by Lear, INDYCAR’s only doubleheader event, scheduled for June 1-3 at Belle Isle Park.
Executives from INDYCAR engine suppliers Chevrolet and Honda also will be on hand to discuss how OEMs are benefiting from INDYCAR’s initiatives.
- Roger Penske: INDYCAR’s most successful team owner with a record 16 Indianapolis 500 victories and 15 Indy car season championships
- Mario Andretti: 1969 Indianapolis 500 winner, Formula One and Indy car champion
- Josef Newgarden: Reigning Verizon IndyCar Series champion driving for Team Penske
- Mark Miles: CEO of Hulman & Co., owners of INDYCAR and Indianapolis Motor Speedway
- Jay Frye: INDYCAR President of Competition and Operations
- Mark Reuss, Executive Vice President, Global Product Development, Purchasing and Supply Chain for General Motors Company
All panellists will be available for interviews following the presentation.