|Tesla Model 3|
Tesla finally released the production specs of the Model 3. We now know the range, top speed, acceleration time and plenty more details about the highly anticipated vehicle.
The automaker confirmed two different version of the cars that will be first made available. During a press briefing ahead of the launch event, the versions were referred to as “Standard Battery" and “Long Range Battery".
Here are the main specs:
- Starting at $35,000
- Range of 220 miles
- 0 to 60 mph acceleration in 5.6 seconds
- Top speed of 130 mph
“Long Range Battery"
- Starting at $44,000
- Range of 310 miles
- 0 to 60 mph acceleration in 5.1 seconds
- Top speed of 140 mph
|No instrument cluster – an interior like no other|
But what about the actual battery pack capacities? In an attempt to move away from branding and identifying their vehicles based on the battery capacity of the packs, Tesla is not even disclosing them.
By using information that we previously gathered and the full specs (see below), it looks like that the standard pack has a capacity between 50 and 55 kWh and the “Long Range Battery" has about 70 to 75 kWh of energy capacity.
CEO Elon Musk said that the “standard" version will not be available until the fall as they will focus on producing the bigger battery pack in order to simplify the production process. it also increases the price by $9,000.
Those specs are for the single motor rear-wheel-drive version of the Model 3. Musk reiterated that they expect the dual motor all-wheel-drive version of the car to become available later on – again in order to simplify the early production ramp up.
The dual motor version is expected to enable a slightly longer range, quicker acceleration, and better overall performance.
In the meantime, a rear-wheel-drive Model 3 with a battery pack enabling 310 miles of range is the only short-term option.
Here’s the full list of specs and options from Tesla:
Price – $35,000
|Roof is almost all-glass|
- Range: 220 miles (EPA estimated)
- Supercharging rate: 130 miles of range per 30 minutes
- Home charging rate: 30 miles of range per hour (240V outlet, 32A)
- Deliveries begin: Fall 2017
- 0-60 mph: 5.6 seconds
- Top speed: 130 mph
- 15" touchscreen display
- Dual zone climate control system
- FM/Internet streaming radio
- Textile seating
- Front Center console with open storage and two USB ports
- Onboard maps and navigation
- Wi-Fi and LTE internet connectivity
- Keyless entry and remote climate control using the Tesla app
- Voice activated controls
- Bluetooth hands-free calling and media streaming
- 60/40 split folding rear seat to maximize cargo options
- Back-up camera
- Auto dimming rear-view mirror
- One-touch power windows throughout
- Power-adjustable side mirrors
- 12-volt power outlet
15" displays gives driver all information
Full LED exterior lighting
- Seven cameras, forward radar and twelve ultrasonic sensors enabling active safety technologies including collision avoidance and automatic emergency braking
- Six front row and two side curtain airbags
- Three-point safety belts with belt-reminders for driver and four passengers
- Two LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children) attachments in second row
- Electronic stability and traction control
- Four-wheel antilock disc brakes with electronic parking brake
- Child safety locks
- Anti-theft alarm system
- Tire pressure monitoring system
- Vehicle: 4 year, 50,000 mile limited warranty
- Battery warranty: 8 year, 100,000 mile (120,000 mile with Long Range Battery)
Long Range Battery – $9,000
- Range: 310 miles
- Supercharging rate: 170 miles of range per 30 minutes
- Home charging rate: 37 miles of range per hour (240V outlet, 40A)
- 0-60 mph: 5.1 seconds
- Top speed: 140 mph
- Deliveries begin: July 2017
- Solid Black: Standard
- Midnight Silver Metallic: $1,000
- Deep Blue Metallic: $1,000
- Silver Metallic: $1,000
- Pearl White Multi-Coat: $1,000
- Red Multi-Coat: $1,000
- 18" Aero: Standard
- 19" Sport: $1,500
Premium Upgrades Package – $5,000 Upgraded interior with additional features and premium materials.
- Premium heated seating and cabin materials throughout, including open pore wood décor and two rear USBs
- 12-way, power adjustable front seats, steering column and side mirrors, with custom driver profiles
- Premium audio system with more power, tweeters, surround speakers and subwoofer
- Tinted glass roof with ultraviolet and infrared protection
- Auto dimming, power folding, heated side mirrors
- LED fog lamps
- Center console with covered storage and docking for two smartphones
Enhanced Autopilot – $5,000 Model 3 will match speed to traffic conditions, keep within a lane, automatically change lanes, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway and self-park at your destination.
Additional features will roll out over time through software updates.
Full Self-Driving Capability – $3,000 (requires Enhanced Autopilot) In the future, Model 3 will be capable of conducting trips with no action required by the person in the driver’s seat.
This feature is dependent upon extensive software validation and regulatory approval, which may vary by jurisdiction.
Dimensions & Weight
- Length: 184.8"
- Width: 76.1" (72.8" with mirrors folded)
- Height: 56.8"
- Wheelbase: 113.2"
- Track (wheel center): 62.2" front and rear
- Ground clearance: 5.5"
- Head room, standard: 39.6" front row, 37.7" second row
- Head room, glass roof: 40.3" front row, 37.7" second row
- Leg room: 42.7" front row, 35.2" second row
- Shoulder room: 56.3" front row, 54.0" second row
- Hip room: 53.4" front row, 52.4" second row
- Seating capacity: 5 adults
- Luggage capacity: 15 cubic feet
- Curb weight:
- 3549 lbs. (Model 3)
- 3814 lbs. (Model 3 Long Range)
- Weight distribution:
- 47% front, 53% rear (Model 3)
- 48% front, 52% rear (Model 3 Long Range)
- Hybrid steel/aluminum body
- Drag coefficient of 0.23
- Double wishbone, virtual steer axis front suspension with coil over twin-tube shock absorbers and stabilizer bar
- Independent multi-link rear suspension with twin-tube shock absorbers and stabilizer bar
- Variable ratio, speed sensitive electronic power steering
- Electromechanically boosted four wheel anti-lock disc brakes with electronic brake force distribution
- 18" Aero or 19" Sport wheels with all-season tires
- 240 volt NEMA 14-50 adapter
- 120 volt NEMA 5-15 adapter
- J1772 public charging adapter
- 20 foot mobile connector with storage bag