Scott Speed posted the fastest lap in the final round of qualifying for Saturday’s Red Bull Global Rallycross Washington DC, the series’ third annual visit to RFK Stadium. Speed got around the 10-turn, .899-mile course in 43.543 seconds, while Steve Arpin and Joni Wiman ranked second and third in the final round of qualifying.
Tanner Foust, Speed’s teammate at Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross, led the first round of hot laps as both VARX and both Loenbro Chip Ganassi Racing cars moved forward. Patrik Sandell, the inaugural Washington DC event winner, and Wiman, the 2014 series champion, completed the final round of qualifying.
Nelson Piquet Jr. made his return to Red Bull GRC after a four-event absence, returning to SH Rallycross/DRR in the #07 Ford Fiesta ST. He posted the second-fastest time in final practice at 44.074 seconds, but was unable to make it out of the first round of qualifying.
Full Supercar qualifying results for Red Bull GRC Washington DC are as follows:
- Scott Speed, #41 Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross Beetle, 43.543
- Steve Arpin, #00 Loenbro Chip Ganassi Racing Ford Fiesta ST, 43.703
- Joni Wiman, #31 Honda Red Bull Olsbergs MSE Civic Coupe, 43.723
- Tanner Foust, #34 Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross Beetle, 43.752
- Patrik Sandell, #18 Bryan Herta Rallysport Ford Fiesta ST, 43.802
- Brian Deegan, #38 Loenbro Chip Ganassi Racing Ford Fiesta ST, 44.446
- Sebastian Eriksson, #93 Honda Red Bull Olsbergs MSE Civic Coupe, 44.342
- Austin Dyne, #14 AD Racing Ford Fiesta ST, 45.008
- Sverre Isachsen, #11 Subaru Rally Team USA WRX STI, 45.117
- Bucky Lasek, #81 Subaru Rally Team USA WRX STI, 45.205
- Nelson Piquet Jr., #07 SH Rallycross/DRR Ford Fiesta ST, 45.368
Red Bull Global Rallycross