Herta takes the win in stunning double podium for Carlin

Colton Herta
Colton Herta

Carlin have taken a fantastic 1-2 race finish with Colton Herta at the helm having taken a lights to flag victory this afternoon. In a confusing and dramatic race Herta remained calm at the front despite a safety car, red flag and full restart procedure, and soon had team mate Ricky Collard close for company leading the pair to seal a brilliant double podium during the final BRDC British Formula Three race at Brands Hatch this weekend. However it was heartbreak for Ameya Vaidyanathan who had lined up in a promising fifth position but was forced to retire with a clutch failure in the opening stages of the race.

The third and final race of the weekend saw three strong starting positions for the Carlin men with Herta taking pole position following a storming lap in race two this morning, Vaidyanathan lined up fifth and Collard seventh as the lights went out. After lap one, Collard was a big mover and had soon progressed well through the field to sit fourth overall while Herta kept the pace well at the very front.

However Vaidyanathan’s race came to a premature end on the first lap as he entered the pits with a clutch failure which left him unable to get the car back out on track; he was forced to retire from the final race marking an unlucky end to what had been a strong performance from the Indian racer.

However drama was quick to follow with a series of confusing events which not only shook the field up but led to a full race restart. Raoul Hyman and Tarun Reddy had come together at Westfields causing a safety car to be released on track. However, it soon became clear that the stoppage would be longer than anticipated and the race was halted under red flag conditions.

Preparing to line up on the grid once again the confusion began as the race effectively went through the restart procedure again including a further green flag lap. By this point, Collard was lining up in the third spot on the grid but with only Herta ahead – Enaam Ahmed, who was second, had returned to the pits and wouldn’t take the restart. This meant that as the lights were extinguished, Herta and Collard led the pack away in earnest with just five laps remaining of the race.

Thankfully, the drama ended there and Herta was able to control the race to take victory in his debut weekend with Collard clinching second position – his second podium of the weekend. The strong 1-2 finish ensuring a fantastic end to the weekend and marking three podiums over the course of the event.

Herta said of his race, “We didn’t get to show our true pace in qualifying or the first two races this weekend so it was fantastic to be able to start on pole position for this race and get the lights to flag finish. Even with the chaos with the red flag and at the restart we remained pretty calm throughout and managed to lead the pack away again. I felt like I was in control throughout and only really felt like I had to defend at the restart. It feels good to get the win here in my debut."

Collard added, “I made a really good start again and gained positions so was able then to settle in to a rhythm and begin to chase down Leist ahead. After that, I turned my focus on chasing Enaam Ahmed ahead but began to come under pressure from Raoul Hyman behind. The pace of the car was really good at this point in the race and I was really enjoying myself. Hyman then crashed behind me which caused the red flag and we all had to sit on the grid and switch to managing everything for the restart. I tried to have a go at Colton when we got back to racing conditions but had to back out at turn one but was already up to second and looking good there. I was really happy to come away with some more really strong points and a 1-2 finish after what has been a pretty solid weekend for the whole team."

Leave a Reply