Both practice sessions were won by Speed, who pushed his Beetle to a fast lap of 1:04.742 in final practice. Austin Dyne proved to be faster in the first qualifying group, turning a 1:03.465 to Speed’s 1:03.532, but Foust reclaimed the fastest lap with a 1:03.312 as final round times were set to ensure that both VARX drivers made it to the next session.
There, Sandell became the first driver to turn a lap under 1:03, barely squeaking past the benchmark on his second lap. It was the first time all season that both BHRS drivers made it to the final round of qualifying; Dyne’s previous best starts of fifth at MCAS New River and fourth at Detroit I were set on driver points.
Qualifying times from Red Bull GRC Barbados I are below. Note that times for seventh place and below are from the first round of qualifying:
1. Patrik Sandell, #18 Bryan Herta Rallysport Ford Fiesta ST, 1:02.982
2. Scott Speed, #41 Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross Beetle, 1:03.210
3. Tanner Foust, #34 Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross Beetle, 1:03.238
4. Brian Deegan, #38 Chip Ganassi Racing Ford Fiesta ST, 1:03.364
5. Austin Dyne, #14 Bryan Herta Rallysport Ford Fiesta ST, 1:03.917
6. Ken Block, #43 Hoonigan Racing Division Ford Fiesta ST, 1:18.743
7. Nelson Piquet Jr., #07 SH Racing Rallycross Ford Fiesta ST, 1:03.773
8. Joni Wiman, #31 Red Bull Olsbergs MSE Ford Fiesta ST, 1:04.345
9. Steve Arpin, #00 Chip Ganassi Racing Ford Fiesta ST, 1:04.418
10. Sebastian Eriksson, #93 Red Bull Olsbergs MSE Ford Fiesta ST, 1:05.003
11. Rhys Millen, #67 Rhys Millen Racing Hyundai Veloster, 1:05.025
12. Sverre Isachsen, #11 Subaru Rally Team USA WRX STI, 1:05.035
Red Bull GRC Barbados I action will resume with first-round heats tomorrow at 11:50AM ET. Fans can follow along with the action all day at http://livetiming.net/grc. The race will be broadcast on NBC on Sunday, October 4 at 3:30PM ET.
Red Bull Global Rallycross