NASCAR announces it won’t hold banquet at Donald Trump’s resort

NASCAR will not return to the Trump National Doral Miami resort for its postseason Camping World Truck Series and Xfinity Series banquet after Donald Trump's recent comments on the presidential campaign trail. NASCAR moved that postseason awards ceremony to Trump's resort last year.

It had not announced the location for the 2015 event, and NASCAR spokesman David Higdon said Friday at Daytona International Speedway that the decision not to return was made earlier in the day.

"We started talking about it earlier this week, and we were evaluating everything," Higdon said. "We'll stick with our plan to announce later this summer where we will be going. We looked at obviously everything that we saw coming down and what we heard from our sponsors and our partners and what we feel we should be doing, and that is what led us to the decision today."

One of the biggest NASCAR sponsors lobbied to have the event moved. Camping World Chairman and CEO Marcus Lemonis wrote in a letter dated for Tuesday that neither he nor anyone from Camping World would participate in an event at any Trump property "due to recent and ongoing blatantly bigoted and racist comments from Donald Trump in regards to immigrants of the United States."

Trump has made several comments about immigrants while on the campaign trail. ESPN

Leave a Reply