Decision looming over 2015 German GP (Update)

UPDATE (GMM) The last slim hope for this year's German grand prix now appears over.

With the embattled Nurburgring unable to fulfil its agreement to host the race in July, Bernie Ecclestone had been in talks with Hockenheim about filling the place.

But circuit boss Georg Seiler told the Mannheimer Morgen newspaper on Tuesday: "We do not expect a grand prix to take place at Hockenheim in 2015.

"The timing for a commitment passed long ago, so a serious organization of the grand prix is no longer possible," he added.

F1 supremo Ecclestone has already said that if Germany does not host a 2015 race, the July 19 date on the currently 20-race calendar will not be replaced.

SID news agency said Germany's removal, and the reduction of the calendar to 19 races, is likely to be formalized by the FIA's World Motor Sport Council on Friday.

The last time Germany did not host a formula one race was 1960.

03/06/15 (GMM) The eleventh hour has arrived for the 2015 German grand prix.

Despite a July 19 slot on the calendar, neither the Nurburgring or Hockenheim currently have a deal with Bernie Ecclestone to host the race.

So as the clock counts down to just a week to go until the Melbourne paddock fills, Ecclestone said of a German GP deadline: "Certainly by this weekend.

"(I'm) not sure it's going to happen," the 84-year-old told DPA news agency.

Leave a Reply