Ragan wants to stay in Cup, but open to Nationwide ride

David Ragan

David Ragan believes he likely will compete in NASCAR's Sprint Cup Series in 2012. For whom he will be driving, though, has yet to be determined. UPS, Ragan's current primary sponsor on the Roush Fenway Racing #6 Ford, announced earlier this week that the company would scale back it's racing program next season. Minus funding, Ragan said Saturday he isn't sure in which direction his career is headed. While he's hopeful that funding can be found that will allow him to remain at Roush Fenway, Ragan knows the odds are less than favorable. But he says he's "confident" that he will run in Cup.

"With a competitive team," he said.

"I'm not going to be in a back-marker car just to say I'm driving a Sprint Cup car," Ragan, who won his first Cup race at Daytona in July, said.

"I'm not too proud to go back to the Nationwide Series and contend for a championship. Ragan, 25, is under contract to Roush Fenway for 2012, meaning Roush could "loan" the driver to another Ford organization next season. But he said it's not a given that he would end up with a Ford team. Scene Daily

Leave a Reply