Toyota vacancy opens door to Sauber

UPDATE Sauber has been granted the final slot on the Formula 1 grid, the FIA has announced.

With Toyota having relinquished its entry, the FIA confirmed on Thursday that Sauber's application to join the championship had been successful – meaning the team will be racing in F1 next year.

"The FIA has written to inform BMW Sauber AG that their application for an entry in the 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship has been successful," said a statement issued by the FIA.

"Subject to their signing the Concorde Agreement, BMW Sauber will be awarded the 13th entry in the Championship, taking the place of the departing Toyota team.

"The FIA has worked closely with the Commercial Rights Holder and the teams involved over recent weeks and is grateful for their support in achieving the best outcome for the sport."

12/03/09 (GMM) Sauber is on the verge of securing a confirmed place on the 2010 formula one grid.

A spokesman for the Swiss outfit earlier said the team is confident of the thirteenth and final entry, despite reports that the withdrawing Toyota is set to hand over its team to the little-known Stefan GP.

But reports on Thursday suggested Cologne based Toyota has actually handed back its 2010 entry to the governing FIA, who said recently that Sauber would be able to race if a vacancy in next year's world championship arises.

A Toyota spokesman confirmed to the German news agency DPA that the team will not participate in 2010, even with possible new ownership.

Leave a Reply