Monster Energy Ford Mustang driver Cam Waters drove the fastest lap in history in a Supercar around Mount Panorama, to claim his first-ever pole position for the Great Race.
It was a memorable lap for the 26-year old from Mildura, who started third last year and has teamed up with two-time King of the Mountain Will Davison for the 2020 Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000.
After qualifying fourth yesterday, Waters put together a perfect lap in the ARMOR ALL Top Ten Shootout this afternoon.
Even a close call on the Dipper didn’t stop Waters from breaking the lap record set by Chaz Mostert in 2019 by .2 of a second. It was a perfect lap after Waters dominated practice over the last three days.
The lap record for Waters caps a long rise through the ranks of Australian Motorsport, for a junior who won his way onto the grid for the Great Race in 2011 through a TV program. In his debut he teamed up with television presenter Grant Denyer to become the youngest ever driver to start the Bathurst 1000.
Behind Waters, the grid is now set. Teammate Lee Holdsworth couldn’t find the same pace he had yesterday in the Truck Assist Mustang and will start sixth after going last in the Shootout.
Jamie Whincup made the biggest mistake in the Shootout and dropped back to 10th position, where he will need to fight for positions with teammate and legend Craig Lowndes tomorrow.
The starting grid for tomorrow’s 161-lap Great Race, that will see a new King of the Mountain crowned is:
Starting Grid for 2020 Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000
- Cam Waters/Will Davison (Monster Energy Ford)
- Scott McLaughlin/Tim Slade (Shell V-Power Ford)
- Chaz Mostert/Warren Luff (Mobil 1/Appliances Online Holden)
- Nick Percat/Thomas Randle (R&J Batteries Holden)
- Shane van Gisbergen/Garth Tander (Red Bull Holden)
- Lee Holdsworth/Michael Caruso (Truck Assist Ford)
- Anton De Pasquale/Brodie Kostecki (Penrite Holden)
- Fabian Coulthard/Tony D’Alberto (Shell V-Power Ford)
- James Courtney/Broc Feeney (Boost Mobile Ford)
- Jamie Whincup/Craig Lowndes (Red Bull Holden)
- Bryce Fullwood/Kurt Kostecki (Mobil 1/Middy’s Holden)
- Scott Pye/Dean Fiore (DeWalt Holden)
- David Reynolds/Will Brown (Penrite Holden)
- Andre Heimgartner/Dylan O’Keefe (Ned Whiskey Ford)
- Jack Le Brocq/James Moffat (Supercheap Auto Ford)
- Todd Hazelwood/Jordan Boys (Cub Cadet Holden)
- Macauley Jones/Tim Blanchard (CoolDrive Holden)
- Mark Winterbottom/James Golding (Irwin Holden)
- Rick Kelly/Dale Wood (Castrol Ford)
- Alex Davison/Jono Webb (Local Legends Holden)
- Garry Jacobson/David Russell (Yellow Cover Holden)
- Jack Smith/Jack Perkins (SCT Holden)
- Chris Pither/Steve Owen (Coca Cola Holden)
- Tyler Everingham/Jayden Ojeda (Valvoline Holden)
- Jake Kostecki/Zane Goddard (Unit Holden)