The seven-time Formula One champion tested positive for COVID-19 on Tuesday and will miss this weekend’s Sakhir Grand Prix.
Sitting on 11 wins with two races remaining this season, Hamilton had the chance to equal Schumacher and Vettel’s all-time record of 13.
But that is up in smoke after the positive COVID-19 test.
Hamilton was tested three times last week and returned a negative result each time, the last on Sunday afternoon at the Bahrain International Circuit.
But Hamilton woke up on Monday morning with mild symptoms and was then informed that a contact prior to arrival in Bahrain had subsequently tested positive, his Mercedes team said on Tuesday.
This led to a subsequent test returning a positive result, and Hamilton says he has gone into self-isolation for 10 days.
“I’m devastated that I won’t be racing this weekend. Since we started the season in June, my team and I have been taking all the precautions we possibly can and following the regulations everywhere we’ve been,” Hamilton wrote on his social media accounts.
“I’m gutted not to be able to race this weekend but my priority is to follow the protocols and advice, to protect others. I’m really lucky that I feel OK with only mild symptoms.”