F1: Marko and Blume confirm Porsche talks ‘not over yet’ (Update)

(GMM) New Volkswagen CEO Oliver Blume has confirmed that Porsche’s negotiations with Red Bull about a works Formula 1 collaboration from 2026 are still ongoing.

We reported this week that the deal is currently on hold, seemingly because Red Bull is concerned about the control it may lose by selling 50 percent of the title-winning team to Porsche.

Blume, who until now was the CEO of VW-owned Porsche, told Braunschweiger Zeitung newspaper that “no final decision has been made” about the F1 foray.

Dr. Oliver Blume 
Member of the Executive Board РProduction and Logistics Рof Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AGMitglied des Vorstandes, Produktion und Logistik der Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AGFoto: PORSCHE AG / Marco Prosch

“Basically, we welcome the new regulations which allow significantly more electrification of the engines and the use of synthetic fuels,” he said.

“Porsche is in talks, but we haven’t made a final decision yet,” Blume insisted.

It is believed Red Bull is suddenly re-thinking the Porsche deal on the basis that current technical partner Honda may re-start its full works involvement in F1 for the new rules.

Recently, Red Bull and ‘Honda Racing Corporation’ (HRC) extended their current deal through the end of 2025, with HRC president Yasuharu Watanabe making a visit to the Belgian GP last weekend.

“I didn’t come for a special purpose,” he told as-web.jp.

However, full ‘Honda’ branding returned to Red Bull’s garage team gear recently, and Watanabe added: “We are discussing with Red Bull on a daily basis how to proceed in the future”.


September 1, 2022 

(GMM) Dr Helmut Marko has essentially confirmed reports that negotiations between Red Bull and Porsche about a works deal for 2026 and beyond have stalled.

When announcing that fellow VW brand Audi will be on the grid in 2026, CEO Markus Duesmann indicated last week in Belgium that Porsche is definitely coming to Formula 1.

Red Bull’s top Austrian official Marko, however, told Auto Bild: “He’s premature.

“The talks are not over yet.

“But Formula 1 is booming in such a way that it is a logical step for every self-respecting car manufacturer.”

The clock is now ticking for Porsche, as any potential new engine manufacturer must – like Audi – officially enter the championship by October 15.

Red Bull team boss Christian Horner, however, insists that there is still time.

“It’s 10 past midnight and Cinderella’s already buggered off,” he laughed. “So it’s tight, but that’s Formula 1 and that’s some of the creativeness and drive that happens within the teams.

“It’s going to be exciting to see more power unit manufacturers on the grid for 2026,” Horner added.

Christian Horner Team Principal RedBull Racing during the Belgian GP, 25-28 August 2022 at Spa-Francorchamps track, Formula 1 World championship 2022.