Formula 1 Rumor: Sponsor Pullout Jeopardizes Colapinto’s Alpine Seat
In a surprising twist, Mercado Libre—one of Franco Colapinto’s primary sponsors and a cornerstone of the Argentine driver’s Formula 1 journey—has vanished from Alpine’s sponsorship lineup. Despite Alpine recently extending Colapinto’s contract through 2026, the team’s newly unveiled A526 car made its debut without the e-commerce giant’s distinctive logo.

While Mercado Libre maintains a strong personal alliance with Colapinto, the company is notably absent from Alpine’s official partner list on their website. This abrupt disappearance has sparked intrigue and speculation within the F1 community.


At the time of Colapinto’s contract renewal, all indicators suggested a seamless continuation of the partnership between the team and the sponsor that has been instrumental in his career. The bond’s significance was underscored last season when Alpine adorned its cars in special Mercado Libre-inspired liveries for three key races: the United States Grand Prix, the Mexican Grand Prix, and the Sao Paulo Grand Prix.

Sources close to the matter reveal that Mercado Libre is undergoing a strategic overhaul of its F1 involvement. The company is shifting focus to diversify its sponsorship efforts, aiming to boost visibility across Latin America beyond just Argentina. As part of this pivot, they’re moving away from exclusive ties to a single driver.
Early signs of this new direction emerged on January 19, when Mercado Livre—the Brazilian arm of the company—announced a fresh sponsorship deal with Audi driver Gabriel Bortoleto. This development raises questions about the stability of Colapinto’s position at Alpine, as the loss of such a vital backer could ripple through his future with the team.
The timing has inevitably raised eyebrows, particularly as the Argentine-backed brand has simultaneously surfaced elsewhere in the paddock. Mercado Libre branding has appeared on the helmet of Sergio Perez at Cadillac, with reports suggesting that via its Brazilian subsidiary, the company will also support Gabriel Bortoleto at Audi.
Related Article: Formula 1 News: No more ‘driver change button’ at Alpine, has Colapinto’s check has cleared?
Sources close to the situation stress that negotiations between Alpine and Mercado Libre are still ongoing.
Colapinto himself struck a calm, forward-looking tone when speaking to Spanish media during the Barcelona shakedown.
“It’s a new era, a completely different car from last year, so you start the year with a lot of enthusiasm and motivation,” he said.
“It’s a team that has worked incredibly hard. There are over a thousand people at the factory working day and night to get a car on track.”
The Argentine added that expectations remain deliberately contained.
“We’re very focused on ourselves because it’s very difficult to know where the other teams will be. We have very little information about the rest. We have to improve our own game first,” said the 22-year-old.
Asked about the presence of reserve driver Paul Aron, Colapinto dismissed any suggestion his seat may already be in doubt.
“Third drivers are there to help the team, especially in a season with new cars. Their role is very important,” the Argentine insisted.
Away from the F1 paddock, Colapinto’s Alpine teammate Pierre Gasly has been making headlines of his own. Gasly has joined the investor group backing Gunther Steiner-led Tech3 in MotoGP, through the Trail Slam fund, of which he is a co-founder.
“I have a strong conviction in the strength of the Tech3 brand and the long-term growth of MotoGP,” the French driver said. “The team has significant untapped potential, and I look forward to helping elevate its profile.”