As both the track and the competition starts to hot up here in New York City, it's Renault e.dams Sebastien Buemi who starts the race on Pole after posting a time of 1:13.911s. "I just hope we can convert this good start into a good result," said the former champion. "I'd really like to finish on a good note."
Starting the race behind Buemi is Panasonic Jaguar Racing's Mitch Evans, who posted a time of 1:14.465s in the Super Pole shootout. Having Qualified well in a number of races in Season 4, including a Pole most recently in Zurich, Evans will be looking to convert the strong start into his first win here in New York City.
After announcing his departure from the Renault e.dams team after the New York finale, Nico Prost posted an impressive lap in Qualifying, which saw him through to the Super Pole shootout. Posting a time of 1:14.921s, Prost will start the race in third. "I want to finish on the podium," said Prost confidently.
Despite posting the two fastest times in Qualifying, both championship hopeful Jean-Eric Vergne and his teammate Andre Lotterer has their times cancelled after switching to full power (200kW) too early during the Qualifying session. Vergne will start the race at then back of the grid, while Lotterer starts in 19th. With just 23 points separating Vergne and championship hopeful Sam Bird, the Frenchman will need to work very hard to wrap up the championship today. "We came here to be super quick… [the decision] is incredibly disappointing but we'll soldier on and see how we get on in the race," said Team Principal Mark Preston.
After posting a disappointing lap time, Sam Bird will start the race in 14th, six places ahead of his main opponent Vergne, which increases his chances of extending the championship to Sunday as the final fight continues between the two drivers.
For NIO Formula E's Oliver Turvey, a collision with the wall in Free Practice 2 put him out for Qualifying with a wrist injury. As a result, the NIO driver will not be starting the race.
Last year's poleman, Alex Lynn (DS Virgin Racing) will start the race one place ahead of his teammate in 13th.
Race 1 Qualifying Results
1. Sebastien Buemi SWI Renault e.dams 1m13.911s
2. Mitch Evans NZL Panasonic Jaguar Racing + 0.554s
3. Nicolas Prost FRA Renault e.dams + 1.010s
4. Jerome d’Ambrosio BEL Dragon Racing + 1.480s
5. Daniel Abt GER ABT Schaeffler Audi Sport + 2.668s
1. Daniel Abt GER ABT Schaeffler Audi Sport 1m13.981s
2. Mitch Evans NZL Panasonic Jaguar Racing + 0.069s
3. Jerome d’Ambrosio BEL Dragon Racing + 0.140s
4. Sebastien Buemi SWI Renault e.dams + 0.197s
5. Nicolas Prost FRA Renault e.dams + 0.217s
6. Nelson Piquet Jr. BRA Panasonic Jaguar Racing + 0.222s
7. Jose Maria Lopez ARG Dragon Racing + 0.263s
8. Maro Engel GER Venturi + 0.311s
9. Tom Dillmann FRA Venturi + 0.323s
10. Nick Heidfeld GER Mahindra + 0.341s
11. Lucas di Grassi BRA ABT Schaeffler Audi Sport + 0.344s
12. Antonio Felix da Costa POR Andretti + 0.401s
13. Alex Lynn GBR DS Virgin Racing + 0.492s
14. Sam Bird GBR DS Virgin Racing + 0.503s
15. Luca Filippi ITA NIO Formula E + 0.542s
16. Felix Rosenqvist SWE Mahindra + 0.844s
17. Stephane Sarrazin FRA Andretti + 12.055s
18. Jean-Eric Vergne FRA Techeetah no time*
19. Andre Lotterer GER Techeetah no time*
20. Oliver Turvey GBR NIO Formula E no time
* Vergne and Lotterer's qualifying times were deleted for exceeding the permitted power usage