Rumor: F1 eyes 2nd race in Mexico (Update)
This rumor is upgraded to ‘strong’ today.
According to Antonio Perez – father of Red Bull Racing driver Sergio Perez – a Cancun race is now more likely to happen than not, after the “F1 and FIA opened the door” for it to happen.
Perez Sr. told Spanish outlet Marca that plans to hold a second F1 race in Mexico were around “60 percent” likely as it stands today, with further steps forward to come.
“Last week I had a meeting with Mexican businessmen, we have already prepared the letters of intent and I think we will be presenting it in mid-July, where it will be, the measurements of the track, to have everything ready and to start the work.
“The most important part is that the FIA and Formula 1 have already accepted it, they opened the doors for me.
“As of today, it is 60 percent likely to happen.”
He also made assurances that the ‘Cancun Grand Prix’, if it goes ahead, would in no way replace the existing Mexico City Grand Prix.
If what Pérez Sr. says is true, North America will boast six of the 24 potential Grands Prix earmarked for the 2024 season.
March 9, 2023
Antonio Perez says he is involved with negotiations for a possible second Mexican GP in Cancun.
“Last week I had a meeting with Mexican businessmen,” he revealed. “We already have the letters of intent prepared, and I think we will be presenting in mid-July where it will be, the circuit, so that the work can begin.
“Today it is 60 percent viable,” Perez snr added. “The most important part is that the FIA and Formula 1 have already opened the doors for me and accepted it.”